+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing of a linear slot diffuser & calculating its area factor

Post Likes

Unhappy Sizing of a linear slot diffuser & calculating its area factor

Hi everyone,

Can anyone explain me about sizing of a linear slot diffuser. I do size it but i am still uncertain about it.
    Please help me with an example. Say, 500CFM of air for a reception lobby. What shall be the slot diffuser size for it & how to analyse it?

Expecting experts view here.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Morning. Some of this I'm sure you know. The K factor is from the manufactures engineering publications. It's the free area of a grill/diffuser. So if your diffuser was 6 x 30, and the K factor was .75 the actual area would be 6x30 = 180 sq in. /144 = 1.25 sqft, *.75= .94sqft free area.
    If you require 500 cfm you will need 500 cfm/.94 area = 531.9 fpm velocity.
    Most grill applications consider cfm required for the load and velocity based on noise levels and on how the room is being used. The recommended velocities are published in a number of books.
    Of course the air has to be there so it begins at the equipment and duct design stage. So with your problem the size will depend on cfm required and the noise level desired.
    Cfm=area x velocity velocity = cfm /area area = cfm/ velocity
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Every time I talk to a PE, I beg him not to use these, unless it's higher than ten feet for a horizontal throw. Fourteen feet for a vertical throw. I absolutely hate them in any office environment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Every time I talk to a PE, I beg him not to use these, unless it's higher than ten feet for a horizontal throw. Fourteen feet for a vertical throw. I absolutely hate them in any office environment.
    Usually used to wash the parameter windows. They look good and a lot of architects like looks over performance. I think architects invented perforated diffusers.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in