+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your "favorite" (pet peeve) type of hack

Post Likes

Your "favorite" (pet peeve) type of hack

No pictures for this one unfortunately, but a sharing experience for all of us!

I'm a big fan of ductless splits (Mitsubishi is my favorite!) and I want to install a system in my dream home one day...

but..

The sad thing about these is when I see a nice one installed and the lineset is all coiled up and left on the roof or the ground to rot in the elements, like, how hard is it to cut it back and reflare??

Share your "favorite" hack with the forum

Post Likes
    Or at least coil it up in the attic or something...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I guess I can't really judge most of our fellow tradesmen in respect to their quality of work. I look at their results and see an opportunity to share some wisdom. If they just don't care, the system will usually weed them out unless they get their attitude adjusted. That said, techs who leave trash (spare parts, soda bottles, butts, fast food bags) in their work area should be chastised for their inconsiderate action. There is no excuse for trashing another's property. That would be my rant on the question at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The total charge is calculated for a 25' line set. I myself just can't do that.
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lolson View Post
    The total charge is calculated for a 25' line set. I myself just can't do that.
    If i weren't mistaken i think you can use a short line set on a Mitsubishi unit with the factory charge, the condenser is large enough to handle the extra refrigerant that would otherwise be in the line set.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JaaGeeGee View Post
    I guess I can't really judge most of our fellow tradesmen in respect to their quality of work. I look at their results and see an opportunity to share some wisdom. If they just don't care, the system will usually weed them out unless they get their attitude adjusted. That said, techs who leave trash (spare parts, soda bottles, butts, fast food bags) in their work area should be chastised for their inconsiderate action. There is no excuse for trashing another's property. That would be my rant on the question at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are only a few things i like more than a clean/organized tidy work area/van. I've seen guys with a van like a tornado hit yet they know where every screw is located, i myself couldn't pull that off

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JaaGeeGee View Post
    I agree.

Post Likes
    I know for when I went to training there is a minimum length for a line set I think it was 15 feet

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    you are correct, 15' minimum

Quote Originally Posted by mattt787 View Post
    I know for when I went to training there is a minimum length for a line set I think it was 15 feet

Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    My pet peeve is door switches taped closed.

Post Likes
    I think that's what they said if you have less it could have problems and to coil the line set flat to not trap oil

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    My pet peeve is door switches taped closed.
    Yep. I'd say I see that on about 30-40% of the units I service.

Post Likes
    Dead comps left on the roof. The idiots had to bring the new one up, but cannot carry the old down, and turn in for recycle. Older restaurants are the worse, stuff hiding under and behind ductwork!

Post Likes
    Armaflex ripped on line set, suction and liquid line grommets on ah/coil left out, gas line ran at an angle (swing joint) just because someone is too lazy to make a couple more threads and put in an elbow, tracpipe, Romex in lt flex from disconnect to condenser, flex improperly installed, leaving boots unwrapped because of laziness, mastic on insulation but not on the duct joints, and no service disconnect in line sight of a piece of equipment just to name a few.

Post Likes
    Control wires spliced in stupid places, like at the end of a whip tucked under a package unit, inside the hood or curb, between return and supply ducts, even inside disconnects. Always just put together with wire nuts, too much insulation removed so bare wires are exposed.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    and no service disconnect in line sight of a piece of equipment just to name a few.
    x2
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Post Likes
    Ditto! Have a 12 story beach front condo where whole condensers are left on roof to finish rusting away, even their cardboard boxes are left up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Dead comps left on the roof. The idiots had to bring the new one up, but cannot carry the old down, and turn in for recycle. Older restaurants are the worse, stuff hiding under and behind ductwork!

Post Likes
    Old refrigerant jugs left on roofs, mechanical rooms and roof hatch access closets.

The future isn't what it use to be.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Piles of old air filters in attics and crawls... At least one can drag it out and put it in the HO's trash can.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I'm going to go with tobacco spit. Where I used to work, I'd say 40% of the work force chewed. In all of their laziness, they wouldn't walk to the floor drain to spit, but rather just spit on the block wall.

Now a close second is sunflower seeds. I would eat them, but kept a cup that I'd spit them into and throw away. Most did not, and just spit them everywhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in