Summit Alarm Question For The Experts

We have a customer who has a laptop he connects with to a site (Ver 16, SP4). Right after Summit loads on this laptop, without being connected yet, the red alarm button in the lower right corner starts blinking and the audible alarm sounds. Hitting the silence button in alarms silences the audible alarm and makes the alarm button disappear.
    Any ideas on the cause?
    TIA,
    jogas

This is the most common cause and may be your issue. If you have the site set (any site in the database) up to need an alarm acknowledged the alarm will still be silenced when you hit the silence so everything seems fine. The alarm isn't active but still not acknowledged so when you shut Summit down it will alarm this unacknowledged alarm again when starting Summit again. You must be conected to the site to acknowledge this alarm. There is a way around this when unable to conect to the site but requires you to overwrite the alarm database so all events will be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
    This is the most common cause and may be your issue. If you have the site set (any site in the database) up to need an alarm acknowledged the alarm will still be silenced when you hit the silence so everything seems fine. The alarm isn't active but still not acknowledged so when you shut Summit down it will alarm this unacknowledged alarm again when starting Summit again. You must be conected to the site to acknowledge this alarm. There is a way around this when unable to conect to the site but requires you to overwrite the alarm database so all events will be lost.
    Thanks, but I did verify there are no existing unacknowledged alarms while connected to the site.
    jogas

The event log in Summit has got to be the biggest POS out there. All my laptops and workstations do the same thing, you can sit there logged on and everything is cool, even double check the event log to make sure there are no alarms before logging off and shutting down Summit.

Then when you fire Summit back up without even connecting the alarm is blinking, I guess Summit has been holding that alarm for whatever reason, I thought that bug would have been resolved by now.

I bet when your customer logs back on there is an alarm in the event log that wasnt there when he shut down.

Jogas, you sure are getting a steady diet of Trane stuff up there, the local office must really not like you.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Go to C:\Program Files\Tracer Summit\Database and rename the Eventlog to something like Eventlogold
    Then go to C:\Program Files\Tracer Summit\Backup\Database and copy the Eventlog and paste it in the previous directory.

This will clear ALL of the Eventlog and make it empty and it should fix the problem at start-up.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Thanks for the replies.
    QTip, I'll try the alarm file tip and let you know if it worked.
    Jogas

You have a site that is set for "open on startup". If the alarm annoys you go to Tools, Options and check the box for Disable Workstation Alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by kwillmech View Post
    You have a site that is set for "open on startup". If the alarm annoys you go to Tools, Options and check the box for Disable Workstation Alarm.
    Thanks Kwill. I'll try that also.
    jogas

Quote Originally Posted by qtip View Post
    Go to C:\Program Files\Tracer Summit\Database and rename the Eventlog to something like Eventlogold
    Then go to C:\Program Files\Tracer Summit\Backup\Database and copy the Eventlog and paste it in the previous directory.

This will clear ALL of the Eventlog and make it empty and it should fix the problem at start-up.
    Thanks Qtip, doing the above worked.
    jogas