colonoscopy - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: colonoscopy

They give me a choice of being put out or watching it on TV. I didn't hurt a bit even though they took out 10 pollaps. Saw the whole thing.

I must be one big A-hole.

If there is "any" history of colon cancer in your families, get the test done. My dad had colon cancer about 12 years ago. He made it through with only losing a smal portion of his colon. I have been getting colonoscopy's for the past 20 years, every five years. My brother decided he would skip the tests. Went to the doc two years ago and they found that cancer in the colon had grown through the lining and into his stomach. They removed a good portion of the colon as well as alot of his stomach lining. Doctor said he didn't have much of a chance since it had spread to all his lymphnodes Double doses of chemo for almost a year. It did the trick for him, but most die when its gone that far.

Damned the cost, don't wait if you want to be around for retirement and the grandbabies.

I've had it done twice, I'm 48. My Doc's paranoid about colon cancer, he lost his dad to it. I wouldn't call the procedure painful exactly, more like uncomfortable, with occasional moments of more serious discomfort. I don't see the need of a general, though I would never hold it against anyone who chose to go under for it. They don't give awards for toughness, and we all encounter enough pain in our lives that we can't escape.

The alternative of having the monster before they catch it early enough is not an acceptable alternative. If you can work it out, get it done - sleep easy at night. We need you around for a long time.

I had my first at a "learning" hospital. They gave me a couple of valium, then wheeled me into the room. Room contained the doc at about 5 students, ALL GOOD LOOKING 20 SOMETHING GIRLS. I was glad I had the Valium and wished I had more. Nothing like getting reamed out with that big...uh, you know... while lots of pretty girls watch. And the stuff they make you drink adds a few quality farts to the mix.
    Next time, I'm going under. I don't want to know what happens.

Mine done today. They used the same stuff the killed MJ.

Worst part was the fasting, and the removing of the EKG probe stikers.

I'm 44. (So my wife tells me) Mom died at 43 due to colon cancer. Dr. said I should have had it done at 33, 10 years before the age of mom's death.

Two pollop removed and sent to the lab.

The procedure sure beats lieing in bed dying of cancer. I saw that at 16. If not for yourself, for your wife and kids.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

"The Last Well Person" book talked about this. A doctor in that book said, "There's $1000 in every colon. All you have to do is take it."

I had one about a month ago, the prep was god awful, they did upper also cause I was having acid reflux problems. don't remember anything on the upper, but woke up during the lower watched them take out 6 polips, he wants to repeat in a year. mix the stuff with chicken broth makes it better.

Frown endoscopy

Quote Originally Posted by TerraPropHVAC View Post
    I had one about a month ago, the prep was god awful, they did upper also cause I was having acid reflux problems. don't remember anything on the upper, but woke up during the lower watched them take out 6 polips, he wants to repeat in a year. mix the stuff with chicken broth makes it better.
    i had both too , watch that reflux as it can ruin your esophogus(hope that's spelled right) , i,m on nexium every day & no more heartburn ever.........Jack

Had mine about 2 months ago. Had lemon flavored prep. Tasted like Mountain Dew mixed with Mobil 1. Had the gastro doc and 5 nurses. He gave me some stuff to "relax" I was laying there watching the T.V. and they are talking about some movie. The screen started moving around and then I felt something cold The screen stopped moving and I watched the whole thing. I was the last patient on Friday so every one was anxious to leave. I had to fart before I could go. I took a while and then RIPPP! I got a standing ovation. Good thing I work at the hospital. Oh by the way, I was clean .
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

A few years ago i needed a procedure done myself. I called several doctors and kept getting prices like 1500.00 2500.00 . Im thinking sheesh am i ever going to get this done?
    I was telling my mom about it who is a 70 year old retired nurse. She said to call them back and tell them you have NO insurance. Im thinking, they arent going to feel sorry for me, NOT THE POINT AT ALL. Doctors hate insurance companies, they are a paperwork nightmare, they are time consuming and expensive to deal with.
    I called back and asked prices for people without insurance,get this.
    400 dollars up to 700 dollars. Less than half the price,it was then it was explained to me by one of the people at a doctors office that insurance compaines bleed the doctors and take up so much time its a constant ongoing negotiation.
    Screw insurance companies, the ama and the drug companies.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

How much is your life worth?

I had to have one done and they saved my life. Beside the prep, which is tolerable, I don't remember the rest, except I felt better afterwards. I still feel good to this day.

get er done

Quote Originally Posted by WaterholeWally View Post
    How much is your life worth?
    Car companies say 200 kilobucks but the 911 fund had some people worth $2M.

I had one done last year, I can't remember how much the scope was, but the doctor asked me if I wanted a CAT scan also, I asked him how much it cost and he told me they would tell me at the hospital.

So when I got to the hospital and they gave me the contast ( nasty stuff you have to drink before the scan) they said that my share of the procedure was $140, so I paid them, they did the scan, them I got a bill from the hospital, for $8,800 for the scan, then I got a statement from the ins co saying that I would have to pay $1900 for the scan.

We are presently in a big fight with the hospital, as they can kiss my arse if they think I am paying them $1900 for an elective procedure that they told me was $140. I'm glad I paid the $140 at the time, as it helps my case. I talked to the county attorney, and he said that it was fraud, but they won't do anything unless it's over $100,000

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast