+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: colonoscopy

Post Likes

colonoscopy

Well I have been putting off getting one for a couple years after turning 50. I had pretty much heard you better get one when you turn 50.

Ok so I have no clue what its going to cost other then my brother told me that he had gotten one a few years back but it was with the shorter scope and the one that they didnt put you out. He claimed he wouldnt go that route again and would pay the extra for a true colonoscopy.

Ok so he was saying the one he had was somewhere around $650 but didnt remember for sure. Im thinking I better check the cost being I have $5000 deductable on my insurance to keep the cost down. It allows for $500 worth of doctors visits for things like phycicals or minor stuff before Im stuck paying anything up tp $5000. I just wanted major medical for something drastic.

Ok so now Im thinking that high of deduductal may not be too smart lol. Called to see what a colonoscopy costs ......... $1600 - $2400, I was shocked. I had no clue it was that high.

I know Im going to have to just pay it but it does piss me off a little when you look at what they are charging for something that I hear takes 20 minutes and they want to to get pretty often as preventive medicine against colon cancer.

I have been pretty lucky and have not had too many medical problems so I havnt been paying out much other then premiums on my health insurance. It just torks me that Im probably paying a lot more then my insurance company would even be willing to pay, I see that a lot with my brother. He has medical problems and ends up paying a lot of the differance over what his insurance company is willing to pay for certain procedures.

Ok so Im realizing why I have been hearing so many people complaining at heath care costs. It never really afected me but now that Im getting older , I see where its going to.

THIS SUCKS

Post Likes
    Yes it does suck. We have a health savings account (HSA). We paid out of it up to 2000 grand and then the insurance company pays. So the trick is to wait until the end of the year to get major things done because by then you used up you deductible.

I have always been pretty healthy. My doctor talked me into my colonoscope. It is cheaper if you get the one without anestisea (sp). Since you are wide awake you get to watch the whole (hole) thing on TV. They found 10 pre cancerous pallops up there. The surgent cuts them out as he goes. Kinda like a computer game. "Hey look at that one. There I got that one. etc. "

Since they found 10 of those bad boys they suggest that I get one every 3 years. I can't say I'm looking forward to them but I tell you the I wouldn't miss one now.

Post Likes
    Ya Benncool , that was what I was kind of thinking as far as stalling off to the beginning of next year. I might do a physical right before the end of this year being that will be covered by the $500 misc coverage. They say I need the physical before they will do a colonoscopy.

How old were you when you got your first colonoscopy ????? I see your 62 now.

Just currious if they told you the colon scope was as good as the colonoscopy ???? My brother thought the colonoscopy would be better being it travels a lot farthe and that way the wont miss anything ......... not sure there is any truth to that .

Guess I shouldnt be so cheap with my life but it still sounds awfull high in cost. I just hate getting screwed.

Hummmmm ...... better not go there, mabe I would be better being awake with my pants down.

Post Likes
    I was about 55 when my regular doctor gave me the "short" version right in his office. They found nothing at that time. I was 60 when I got the big one. Thats when they found 10 of the little criters. The last time I went to my regular doctor he said that he doesn't even do the short version any more. He send everyone right over to the hospital

No option --you get the whole nine yards in this town. It is a hospital procedure with a nurse assisting in an OR . All the little extras cost extra. Don't let them talk you into putting you out. It doesn't hurt at all. Plus then you have to pay for an anistesist.(sp)

Post Likes
    I would have done it for a lot les....Hey waytaminit I've just found out where you guy's keep your colons- that's disgusting..I ain't going up there for all the tea in China!!

Cheers

Richard

Post Likes
    is there any history of any form of cancer in your family is the big question.50 is the age to start considering a check and forgrt the short test garbage.my brother had a short test in 97' started showing blood when "he went" all thru 99' in into 2000.got to a point he couldn't go due to a retriction/blockage when he went in for a full they found a cancerous golfball size sist up in his collan that was missed in the early stages back in 97.he was operated on in late 2000 and waked out with a colonoscophy bag ans his ass sewed up.he had to make a decision...no kemo radiation and live 3 more months,or take the program which he did and he hung on and passed away a week before 9-11 here in NYC.it not buying new tires....you don't need to run out tommorrow and get it... plan it and find out the difference with exams 51,52,53 and that will give you something to base the furture exames on.both me and my brother went that fall for exams after my brother passed away,and repeated it again in 2002,we were both told see you guys in 2008.so as you see time passes real fast don't let your 50s go by and end up missing something and take the hit in your 60s..if anybody reading this has any blood showing when the go head right to the doctor and it might be more then just a hemoroid.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Sounds like a pain in the azz.....

Post Likes
    JUST HAD ONE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO....and YES IT DOES HURT A LITTLE I THOUGHT,especially when he backs the scope up and gets a run at the corners to make scope turn,about 3 or 4 turns it hink.......i'm only 35,but i've been having stomach pain and they wanted to see my colon,so i had it done and it wasn't cheap.....i've got 90/10 insur. with 350 deductible too.The thing was my test did not show anything and i still hurt and have to pay the bill somehow??

Post Likes
    I had one done last year and the doctor told me that I would be put under a light sedation and would be awake the whole time although I might not remember anything. Well, when it was all said and done, I didn't remember a thing. The only thing that I remember is getting an IV and waking up less than a half hour later.

I will say this though. The preparation for the exam is far worse than the exam itself. You half to go 24 hours without any food before the procedure and if that isn't bad enough they give you this stuff to drink that makes you go to the bathroom about ever 10 minutes. So be sure to have plenty of reading material.

Also, the stuff they give you to drink taste awful if you mix it with water like it says to on the directions so if I were you you might try to mix it with some 7-up. They gave me 2 doses of this awful stuff and after the first I had looked on the internet to see if there was another way to take it and that is when I discovered that you can take it with 7-up. Believe me, it is much better this way as you can barely taste it, and it is also allowed since clear soda is one of the few things that are allowed during this period.

I hope any of this helps, and hopefully they won't find anything wrong.

Post Likes
    Just had one today. Suggest you go for the one where you get knocked out. If you get the one where you are awake(had one 3yrs ago) and they find polips or other things then I believe they have to send you the the hospital or a gastro doc. I believe it is more thorough.

If you have probs on either or both sides of your family, for sure start at 50. I started at 49. Start eating better and no more junk food. Don't want to be stuck on meds forever.
    Learning is a lifelong process

Post Likes
    had one a few months ago was put out and didn't remember a thing, the cleaning out is the worst part. I didn't no i had that much ch$t in me hahaha

Post Likes
    Had one last year and they knocked me out. I had no pain after.
    worst part was not eating and the cleaning out-------------

Post Likes
    Speaking of colons, wheres tinknocker?

Post Likes
    They give me a choice of being put out or watching it on TV. I didn't hurt a bit even though they took out 10 pollaps. Saw the whole thing.

I must be one big A-hole.

Post Likes
    If there is "any" history of colon cancer in your families, get the test done. My dad had colon cancer about 12 years ago. He made it through with only losing a smal portion of his colon. I have been getting colonoscopy's for the past 20 years, every five years. My brother decided he would skip the tests. Went to the doc two years ago and they found that cancer in the colon had grown through the lining and into his stomach. They removed a good portion of the colon as well as alot of his stomach lining. Doctor said he didn't have much of a chance since it had spread to all his lymphnodes Double doses of chemo for almost a year. It did the trick for him, but most die when its gone that far.

Damned the cost, don't wait if you want to be around for retirement and the grandbabies.

Post Likes
    I've had it done twice, I'm 48. My Doc's paranoid about colon cancer, he lost his dad to it. I wouldn't call the procedure painful exactly, more like uncomfortable, with occasional moments of more serious discomfort. I don't see the need of a general, though I would never hold it against anyone who chose to go under for it. They don't give awards for toughness, and we all encounter enough pain in our lives that we can't escape.

The alternative of having the monster before they catch it early enough is not an acceptable alternative. If you can work it out, get it done - sleep easy at night. We need you around for a long time.

Post Likes
    I had my first at a "learning" hospital. They gave me a couple of valium, then wheeled me into the room. Room contained the doc at about 5 students, ALL GOOD LOOKING 20 SOMETHING GIRLS. I was glad I had the Valium and wished I had more. Nothing like getting reamed out with that big...uh, you know... while lots of pretty girls watch. And the stuff they make you drink adds a few quality farts to the mix.
    Next time, I'm going under. I don't want to know what happens.

Post Likes
    Mine done today. They used the same stuff the killed MJ.

Worst part was the fasting, and the removing of the EKG probe stikers.

I'm 44. (So my wife tells me) Mom died at 43 due to colon cancer. Dr. said I should have had it done at 33, 10 years before the age of mom's death.

Two pollop removed and sent to the lab.

The procedure sure beats lieing in bed dying of cancer. I saw that at 16. If not for yourself, for your wife and kids.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    "The Last Well Person" book talked about this. A doctor in that book said, "There's $1000 in every colon. All you have to do is take it."

Post Likes
    I had one about a month ago, the prep was god awful, they did upper also cause I was having acid reflux problems. don't remember anything on the upper, but woke up during the lower watched them take out 6 polips, he wants to repeat in a year. mix the stuff with chicken broth makes it better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in