York YCAV Rust within vessel + service manual?

Hi there.

We have a York YCAV 0739pa (dual screw, vsd, air cooled) chiller leaking refrigerant between circuit 1 and 2.... as well as leaking liquid refrigerant directly into the suction line.

Today i removed the ends on the vessel and found large quantities of rust all around the copper pipework and internally on the end plate itself. It gets worse, there are large quantities of copper shavings, and of course.... vertigris growing everywhere inside the rifled tube.

Apparently this model was manufactured in Mexico.... Has anyone has a similar experience?

We removed 20 litres of oil, which is less than half i believe. After recommissioning,we are going to run the compressors for 100 hours, and consider changing the oil again. My only concern is what to expect from this. We found the fault with the refrigerant migration. The seal decided to let go due to the lack of a flat, level surface to seal against. Instead, it covers half of the pipes. Anyway, at 1.5 years old, this is the first fault the machine has suffered other than minor trips / alarms..... should we expect to start changing compressors any time soon ?

Does anyone know where to locate a service manual for this beast? I have downloaded the various ones on the york.com website literature library.... but they seem mostly incomplete.

For those of us up in the northern hemisphere that don't understand "down-under-ese". What is "vertigris"?????????

Hanen't had to work real closely with one of these. From the model, I'm guessing aircooled condenser. From what you're describing, the chiller barrell is essentially the same design as has been for decades on recips. A common waterside in the shell. The refrigerant is two cicuits on the tube side divided by webbing in the heads. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You describe circuit-to-circuit leaks as well as to the atmosphere because of faulty head gasketing. Now that is an issue you are taking care of.

What concerns me more is the indications of moisture in the refrigerant. That will come from either a leak in a tube or a leak in the tube to sheet joint. Better check that area closely. If your refrigerant pressure has always been higher than the water pressure, any leak would have been the other way. In that case, It may not have been dehydated properly in the factory.

A good issue to bring to this forum. Keep us informed so we can learn.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Hi there....
    I should have explained a little more carefully.

The vessel is exactly as you described. The leaking/migrating refrigerant is not venting to atmosphere.... rather, it is leaking internally via a small section of damaged gasket (at the pipe entering/leaving end of the vessel) between circuit 1 and 2... also, leaking from circuit 1 liquid line entering the vessel, directly into circuit 1 suction port, creating low suction super heat alarms at the compressor.

Replacing the seal 'should' fix that particular issue. I will take some photographs today, and post them on this topic for everyone to see.
    The remaining rust however it of some concern. It would appear that the tubes, tube sheet, end plates, in fact, almost everything was left out in the rain during the manufacturing process. I was really surprised to see the level of contamination that that exists in this chiller.
    And verdigris.... its the green scale buildup you get on copper pipe when its been sitting outside for too long. Im not certain thats what we have here. It looks similar is all.

thanks.

Ooops, I gues I didn't read your first post closely enough.

I think you described it sufficiently. Consider the source of that barrell. I've been down there. Some of their "factories" are in fact constructed of corrugated metal and have dirt floors. Not saying that this one was, of course.

If you post the complete model and serial number (or at least the time frame it was manufactured) Someone will come on to help out with manuals.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

york chiller prolems

i had the similar problem on a 3 year old york YCAL scroll chiller ,just gasket failure no rust or moisture , i think the failure is just a cheap design from york
    to have many chiller barrels do diffenent size chillers just by changing pass arraingment and adding tubes

mr freeze

I have not ran in to that problem on the ycav machines. The only problem I have had is the drain and fill valves break on the inside and have to be replaced. There was a factory recall on the valves and a lot of valves were replaced. A drain valve that goes bad will cause a low suction superheat alarm if it sticks open. I have replaced a liquid level sensor on the falsh tank that was causing the tank to overfill, this caused problems when the economizer solonoid opened. Also replaced a few fan motors. Other than that I think they are good machines. I dont think the RTAA's or the RTAC's have anything on the YCAV's, of course thats just my opinion.