+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recovery tank capacity

Post Likes

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gapfaff View Post
    With the tare weight of 16.7 lbs total weight of vessel would be 37.98 lbs correct?
    It depends on the refrigerant you're recovering!!!!!

Unless you first find the total capacity of the refrigerant not just the water, when you multiply by the 80% your number will be off. So take the multiplier of the refrigerant times the WC then take 80% of that value.

R-410A factor = 0.90 use this value because 125 deg limit for 410

WC 26.2 X .90 = 23.58 now take 80% of this 23.58 X .80 = 18.86 it the weight of the R410A at 125 deg. for a safe fill.

Add TW to 18.86 18.6 + 16.7 = 35.3 total weight that should be reading on your scale.

Hopefully you can see that just taking 80% would be an safety concern, and could get you to empty your pockets and bank account, turn over the keys to your car, van, boat, house and anything else the lawyer might want from you. You're 2.6 lbs over the safe limit and you are required by law to know this.
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Post Likes

recovery tank capacity

[QUOTE=dawgtchrr;1587943]It depends on the refrigerant you're recovering!!!!!

Yes...I should have indicated that I was referring to R22. I totally agree with you and your explanation is clear. I'm dealing with R22 99% of the time lately. Pulled out a lot of old A/C's this year. I've never exceeded the safe capacity of my vessels. I know i've exchanged them well short of their safe capacity, which probably cost me more $$ than necessary. I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what the safe capacity should be and now I'm confident, for future recoveries, that I do.

Thank You

Post Likes
    Dawg, in the chart you posted, on the first page R-410A appears twice, is the yellow line for the 130* and the pink for 125*?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaceric View Post
    Dawg, in the chart you posted, on the first page R-410A appears twice, is the yellow line for the 130* and the pink for 125*?
    Yes that is correct.

I've notice the footnote is identified wrong, sorry about that.
    Last edited by dawgtchrr; 08-15-2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: added appology

Post Likes
    I have this in three ppt slides if any other instructor would like a copy. Check my profile and email me.

Post Likes
    Dawg,

Love Power Point Presentations.

Can't find an e-mail in your profile. Stevens College link won't go through.

If you'd send me a copy of the ppt. to e-mail in my profile, I'd appreciate it.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgtchrr View Post
    I have this in three ppt slides if any other instructor would like a copy. Check my profile and email me.
    If you dont' mind, I would appreciate a copy of that ppt also. Would be nice for
    some of the NATE stuff I am doing thru RSES.

e-mail in profile.

Thanks.........GF

Post Likes

EPA fines

[QUOTE=dawgtchrr;1584055]Doesn't really matter that your boss told you to do it. The EPA will fine you for any violation you do.

1.)Are the fines still like $10,000.00?
    2.)Are there rewards for turning in violators? I know there used to be like $2000.00 rewards.
    3.) (In hopes of settling an argument) Is there a fine for having refrigerant in an outdated recovery tank?

Your in knowledge and opinions appreciated

Post Likes
    Dawgtchrr: Got it. Thanks alot.

I had been googling refrigerants to find specific gravities. Surprised me the wide range from R-113 (almost 1.5) to some of the blends that are less than 1.0....I had always "ass-u.me"d that all refrigerants were heavier than water. Been around low pressure machines too long I guess.

Gapfaff: 3.) (In hopes of settling an argument) Is there a fine for having refrigerant in an outdated recovery tank?

The way I understand the ruling is: "Fill AND
    transport. Therefore you can use an expired tank to reover and recycle back into the unit as long as it is empty in your truck while you are travelling.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=gapfaff;1589940]
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgtchrr View Post
    Doesn't really matter that your boss told you to do it. The EPA will fine you for any violation you do.

1.)Are the fines still like $10,000.00?

up to $27,500 for each occurrence. Most test bank questions should be updated with this new value.

2.)Are there rewards for turning in violators? I know there used to be like $2000.00 rewards.

maybe, but don't count on buying new tools with it. EPA could offer a reward but have only done it in a couple of huge cases, and then it was far less than the $10,000 which the law allows.

3.) (In hopes of settling an argument) Is there a fine for having refrigerant in an outdated recovery tank?

This is a violation of the Dept. of Transportation regulations not EPA. I think, but not sure that if convicted it could result in fines up to $27,500 as well. So your chances of getting caught might be a little greater since any DOT official or representative could check your van contents and even assess a fine for having outdated cylinders in your shop. Hopefully not many police officers know about this when they do those road-side safety checks.

Your in knowledge and opinions appreciated
    Hope this helps.

Post Likes

EPA enforcement and certification

EPA enforcement seems non-existent in my area along with the professional ethics of some of the hvac contractors. Some people in my area pass the refrigerant handling certification with out any Refrigeration training/education and only know enough to be dangerous, but they think they're refrigeration techs. I think there should be more of an education requirement Before the credential is made available. It is too easy to get. I would be interested what this groups opinion is also.

Thank you

Post Likes

EPA enforcement and certification

Hum...suddenly it's very quiet????????? Must have scared you guy's with this one?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gapfaff View Post
    Hum...suddenly it's very quiet????????? Must have scared you guy's with this one?
    Personally I think it's all about the money. As an educator I have a vested interest in raising the standard, but thinking as a contractor, I think I pay enough in taxes and other fees that not much is left to put food on the table let alone pay for more training with test taking

Post Likes
    The recovery cylinders are being changed to all high pressure cylinders.You can put any refrigerant in these cylinders but you cannot mix refrigerants.A 30lb usually is 15lbs with a total weight of 35lbs.A 50lb is usually 38lbs with a total weight of 63lbs.But you should mark the tank with what refrigerant is in there.A simple pressure and temperature reading will confirm.

Post Likes
    No. We've all heard that same story. It's like that everywhere, which is why there are so many hacks out there. Nobody wants to bother commenting because well, they've said all they want to say about it already.

Post Likes

same story...hacks

Quote Originally Posted by SirCurmudgeon View Post
    No. We've all heard that same story. It's like that everywhere, which is why there are so many hacks out there. Nobody wants to bother commenting because well, they've said all they want to say about it already.
    OK, I understand. It's too hard to regulate. It's an honor thing/ Professional ethics. It had been suggested by my employer that the job didn't have to take too long because "nobody is around". I Stood FIRM. I need this job in my current situation, but I'll quit before taking Short cuts and will turn in violators if I see or know of illegal, intentional venting. I do that for my and everyone elses grandchildren who will suffer the consequences. Please, I hope everyone here does the same.

Thank You all

Post Likes
    I know the tare weight of the recovery tanks we use is 27.8 lbs and that is what ones I have weigh empty. Every one I've came across that is. I'm sure they range in size.

Post Likes
    If you take a full cyclinder of mixed gases back, the destruction charge for mixed gases is more the a recovery cyclinder cost.
    So if your employer isn't complaining about that cost. Where is that refrigerant going.

Post Likes
    good question. Now I'm curious myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in