Thread: Abb Ach 400 Vfd

Abb Ach 400 Vfd

Had a call on one of these the other day running a high temp warning. Customer has blown out the heat sink with nitrogen but it doesn't help. We removed the back plate and brush cleaned the heat sink and then vacuumed it out. Put it back together and the cooling fan would not run. Pulled a fan and capacitor out of an abandoned drive(identical size) and put it in this one. The fan came on and ran but I left shortly after. A few days later I came back with a new fan assembly and capacitor for a backup and the drive is in alarm again for the same thing. Anyone know what the max delta t across this heat sink should be? Any war stories on similar problems that may get me in the right direction? Thanks.

What exactly is the VFD telling you on the LED and give us the Manufacturer.
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

Quote Originally Posted by makinmoney View Post
    What exactly is the VFD telling you on the LED and give us the Manufacturer.
    He did state the manufacture in the title "Abb Ach 400 Vfd"

You could have a bad sensor as you have replaced the motor & cleaned the heat sink. I would make sure you have cleaned the entire drive to be safe. Are the ambient temperature very high as ths is summer? If ambient temps are above 70C [158F], this could be an issue. Not sure the exact model number, the alarm point should be around 95C [203F].
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Do you know where the sensor is located and is it field replaceable? The ambient is no where near the 158 degrees farenheit although the motor is only a foot away from the drive so the drive cooling fan is drawing air from the motor windings which is warm. It has been this way for years but the problem is just now showing up. Any idea what the delta-t should be across the heat sink?

Quote Originally Posted by duke of earl View Post
    Do you know where the sensor is located and is it field replaceable?
    I have never broken down a ACH400, so not sure the sensor location. It should be replaceable. You can try ABB Drive tech, they should be able to help you locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by duke of earl View Post
    Any idea what the delta-t should be across the heat sink?
    I have never seen any documentation on the delta-t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Think ABB recommends replacing those fans every 2 years as well, bad fan will take down the entire drive. My contracts I try to change them out at least every two especially on the critical stuff like surgical rooms/cleanrooms.

Never heard of a Delta T number for a drive before.

Check your line voltage terminals and make sure the connections are tight as well.