Thread: Blower Keeps Running

Post Likes

Blower Keeps Running

I have a question and I hope someone, anyone with a background in such a problem can tell me if I’m right or wrong.

My neighbor’s blower fan on his heat pump continues to run, even when the outside unit shuts off. We are talking about an American Standard air exchange unit inside and a 2-ton Trane unit outside.

I’ve tried to explain that in order to see if it’s a faulty blower relay or a faulty thermostat, you need to disconnect the green wire in the thermostat. If the blower stops at that point, than he has a bad thermostat, Should the blower continue to run after doing so, then the problem lies with the blower’s relay or circuit board.

Can anyone provide some “professional” advice in order that I can show him and perhaps believe what I am telling him?

All who wish to participate please feel free. The more the better.

Post Likes
    why doesn't he believe you? Are you not qualified?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-the-man View Post
    why doesn't he believe you? Are you not qualified?
    Morning Sam.

I don't know why. I'm just trying to help a friend and neighbor. If you mean by "qualified", do I install and work on them for a living, no I don't. I just thought that a reply from those that do, would ease his mind some.

Just offering advice.

Post Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bewilder View Post
    Morning Sam.

I don't know why. I'm just trying to help a friend and neighbor. If you mean by "qualified", do I install and work on them for a living, no I don't. I just thought that a reply from those that do, would ease his mind some.

Just offering advice.
    Sounds like your neighbor is either a Lawyer or a politician.......if you looked like a dead president, I bet he would believe you.
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

Post Likes
    make sure that the fan switch on the thermastat is in the auto position and not the on position. and if it is in the auto position call for service

have a pro fix it or it could cost them more in the long run if you dont know what your doing
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Post Likes
    few different things can make that fan run. hard to say without looking at it.

Post Likes
    shorted green wire could cause that as well, but yea what jigmister said

Post Likes
    If it was flipped to a call for heat and had a tripped limit from last heat season it is possiable to stay in fan on until reset.

Post Likes
    like i said...call a pro for service
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by bewilder View Post

I’ve tried to explain that in order to see if it’s a faulty blower relay or a faulty thermostat, you need to disconnect the green wire in the thermostat. If the blower stops at that point, than he has a bad thermostat, Should the blower continue to run after doing so, then the problem lies with the blower’s relay or circuit board.
    You gave him only two options. How about another option? What if you "disconnect the green wire in the thermostat", but the green wire and the red wire had been penetrated by a nail in the wall, and was in contact with each other. Will that not make the fan run all the time?

Post Likes
    This could be anything from shorted wire, to a faulty control board in the furnace. Call a pro. hack solutions provide hack results.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in