Questionable Stainless Tube Bend

Questionable Stainless Tube Bend

CRCoil.pdf

We are in a time crunch and need the above part. Do you think this stainless steel having a ripple in it be acceptable for installation? It will be on the suction accumulator or low pressure side. Its O.D. is 0.75" and its I.D. is 0.671". The bend is 90 degrees.

Thanks for your input, Andreas

The correct attachment

I apologize for putting the wrong attachment to my previous email. This is the correct one.

Name:  284984.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  29.6 KB

Application

It is used in railway HVACs

Stainless

I work at a pulp and paper mill where there is lots of stainless steel ( 316 ) of every description.

The photo does not look like there is any sharp ripples - I use lots of stainless tubing on water and drain lines and on that diameter of tube, ripples are common. But, why do you have to use a rippled piece? Make another one in a 3/4 inch bender, but oil up the tube and bender forming sections. That MAY help.

If you have to use that particular piece, and there is concern of integrity issues down the road, build up some silver braze ( Easy-Flo 45 ) on the affected area to strengthen it, or if you wish, silver bearing soft solder ( Sta-brite 5% or 8% ) in the same fashion - if you use soft solder, you will have to use an acid based liquid flux made for that purpose. I have done this with copper with excellent results, but you don't run into stainless too often.

Stainless is very finicky, you can overheat and spot burn it easily if the flame is too intense - then nothing will stick. It is great stuff, but it is horrible to work with in many ways. Good luck.
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Thanks

Thanks for the information. Because we are in a pinch and the vendor cannot turn something around quickly enough, we will use the three pieces. Have a good day!