Urgent Please Respond

This just happened an hour ago!

The cooling tower on top of the boiler room (part of a Trane RTHA255 chiller system) is spraying a huge continuous mist of liquid and there are gallons of water pouring off the roof. We called our maintenance guy and he are sending someone but can anyone tell me:

Are there chemicals in the water that we need to worry about?
    Is the mist spraying out of the cooling tower toxic?

We live only feet away from this thing so please let us know if we need to evacuate!

Thanks!

No need to panic. Just find the makeup water valve to the tower and shut it off.

Under Control!

ALL is well!
    They came and shut down the whole system!
    Woohoo!!!

Peace and quiet at last...

Ahhhhhh

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!You're sure getting clobberd by that chiller. When they get the tower "patched" up, you're going to have to put up with the noise again. Are you sure you want to live this way?

Too answer the origional question.........I've been swiming and swalloowing cooling tower water for 30 yrs and haven't grown any extra appendages...................Yet.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Interesting. Just curious, when you say a huge amount of mist, does it look like a big vapor cloud being blasted out of the cooling tower? if so, I'd say that could be a normal condition.

You guys are awesome

Thanks for all the help, this forum is great!

I never knew so much excitement and drama could come from a chiller. HVAC must be an interesting line of work!

Thanks for letting me know that stuff does not have any nasty chemicals in it and that the mist is normal.

The guy who came out at 12 AM was the boss of everyone we spoke to and he was MAD.

He said that the unit is NOT supposed to run all the time like that and especially not at night.

He said he had some butts to chew today.

I am sorry if anyone has flesh missing from their rear end but at least it's not from us complaining.

Normal?????

gallons of water pouring off the roof

Not normal

Where are you located? Interesting handle. Good friend of mine goes by "hockey------". Don't want to give away the rest without his permission.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Since..You .. are so uncomfortable living near Mechanical Equipment ...
    perhap's you should consider moving ...

oooohhhh ... that's right ...

it's Free .....

Quote Originally Posted by referteacher View Post
    Wow !!!!!!!!!!!Too answer the origional question.........I've been swiming and swalloowing cooling tower water for 30 yrs and haven't grown any extra appendages...................Yet.
    Heck I just spent three days on top of and inside cooling towers, If the chemicals are a big problem Im in trouble....lol

I do the chem testing on those towers so I guess I know whats in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by referteacher View Post
    gallons of water pouring off the roof

Not normal
    Could be the suction (outlet) strainers are clogged and the spray arms are still going..... tower will overflow pretty quick...... or a makeup control is screwed up.

The chemicals won't hurt you but....

Quote Originally Posted by hockeychick View Post
    Are there chemicals in the water that we need to worry about?
    Is the mist spraying out of the cooling tower toxic?
    We live only feet away from this thing so please let us know if we need to evacuate!

Thanks for letting me know that stuff does not have any nasty chemicals in it and that the mist is normal.
    I am not trying to be an alarmist, but you seemed to have gotten advice that it is safe to breath vapors from this or any Cooling Tower. This assumption couldn't be any further from the truth.

Vapors from Cooling Towers can be very dangerous to one's health if the tower is not kept clean and the water not periodically tested and treated with chemicals and biocides to kill Legionaire's and other nasty nasty stuff that can grow there.

We cannot possibly tell from here what the condition of that tower is in or what the chemical program to treat the water consists of.

If you are concerned then you should check with the School District's Enviromental Health Department.
    Edited by powerhead on more than one occasion