+ Reply to Thread

Thread: beer draft lines

Post Likes

beer draft lines

anyone with experience with draft lines, have a unit that is 1/3 hp compressor, and automatic expansion valve, what are the operating parameteres?
    have seen them before with compressor set up to operate all the time, do they use epr's or is that system also axv, this one has a pressure switch so unit cycles off on pressure,
    hem

Post Likes
    draft beer is stored in a walk in cooler. I try to keep that box at about 33 degrees. The colder the better. The it goes out to the taps in 1 big insulated line, that usually has a "chilled" loop in the middle of the tube bundle. The chilled loop is a supply and return to a glycol bath, that is chilled with a small condensing unit. I am not exactly for sure on what the manufactures set these up at, I just know by doing it, but, the glycol temp, you want to see about 26 to 28 degrees. Your after a 7 to 10 degree TD so that your beer/loop will maintain that temperature it left the walk in as.

If your loop goes through an uninsulated/unconditioned false ceiling your gonna have to lower your glycol temp in the middle of the heavy heat.

You can indeed go to low, and freeze your beer. So be carefull.

Perlick, out of Milwaukee, WI are the experts in this kind of stuff, and there website is not that great, but if you call their tech support, they can tell you specifically what to look for and what your benchmarks will be.

Incidently. How I got some knowledge on these is. If your a refrigeration man in WI, you will eventually come into contct with a beer draft chiller system. It's inevitable.

Post Likes
    did them years ago with freon lines run with the beer lines.

never used an axv for them, always a txv and an epr valve to keep line pressure up. ran the unit off a low pressure switch and had an expansion tank to keep unit from short cycling.

may have been crude by todays standards with the glycol systems but the beer was cold...

Post Likes
    A little more info would help. Make Mod & Sr #’s to begin with. Length of run, wet or dry system?

As 4d’s stated you have to start with a COLD walk in.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    most of my customers prefer their walk-ins at 35-38 where the beer is stored per companys policy .. i leave my glycol temp at about 28 & any machine that doesnt have digital temp control soon gets one from me .. i always was taught & thought that the colder the beer the better .. some of my accounts prefer 38-40 degree beer at their taps .. some have even stopped using frozen mugs & glasses & have went to chilled ones .. at about same temp beer would be at the tap ...i believe it produces less head .. not 100% on that tho .. please correct me if wrong ... one thing i try to tell other techs & people just make sure the glycol mix is the % it should be & periodically check it to make sure ratio stays right

Post Likes
    sounds like you have a lopped evap. yes txv and epr set pressure control for an evap temp of 28 use pt chart per refrigerant. watch lite beer, first to freeze. check all insulation. Remember a 3 to 4 degree rise between box and draft arm can cause foam. the ban of all bartenders.

Post Likes
    I am no expert. But. I dispute the fact that beer pours better at 40 degree tap temperature. I have worked on these things till the cows come home (former cheesehead).

More head at those temps.

If a customer is specifying that, I aint too sure why? Maybe some specialty stuff. Miller or Budwesier from a keg, any of your normal kegger beers, you want it cold.

Post Likes
    i do work for major us brewing co., at storage facilities here in nj. co. quality control policies say box temps must be 35-37 degrees, at least for storage before shipping. i believe 34 degrees is the perfect pour.

Post Likes
    DOW seem to remember a sales rep going on about clarity of product at too low of temp. tends to get cloudy as I didn't have a good thermometer and was forced to use the taste temp method the conversation got rather vague.micro beers are a whole different animal. everybodys a brewmaster now

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    i do work for major us brewing co., at storage facilities here in nj. co. quality control policies say box temps must be 35-37 degrees, at least for storage before shipping. i believe 34 degrees is the perfect pour.
    Keg beer from Budweiser, manadated by the brewery to be stored at 33 to 34 degrees at the distributors. I have the memo and temperature mandates in official form to show you.

As far as when your out working at a bar or resturaunt and your after knowing what your temps should be for a set up like this, I'd say you better make an attempt to keep your walk in at no more than 35, and base your glycol on no more than a 10 degree TD. It's more like Seven degrees though. So if your glycol loop temp is about 27,28 degrees, your maintaining that 34,35 degree beer in the bundle at those temps.

I only dispute the 40 degree comment. Your beer will pour like $hit and have a lot of head. 5,6 degrees is a big deal when it comes to how beer flows and pours.

Post Likes
    ezone,

I am saying exactly that the sales rep was full of crap. Not a clue.

Post Likes
    id agree with 34 myself as best temp to drink a coldy at .. but i cant change the minds of those that think they know it all .. & i notice the bartender running off some beer before every pour

Post Likes
    I also had problems with them stacking the barrels. It was ok if was plastic but if thay put a stainless steel on top and the evap was blowing right on
    it the beer would would freeze.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in