Thread: Is this a T-stat problem?

Post Likes

Is this a T-stat problem?

the first "cycle", my heat pump's compressor kicks in without a problem. But subsequent cycles, the compressor will not come back on (the condensor blower still runs though). The only way to get the compressor to go back on again is to shut the T-stat to OFF, and then back on again. Then it turns on without a problem and cools the house well. Weird. Not sure if it's relevant, but i had a power outage about a week ago which took out my capacitor -- had it replaced. anyhow, does what i'm describing sound like something a new thermostat unit would fix? Thanks!

Post Likes
    Change the batteries in the t-stat

Post Likes

Confused

seriously.. any ideas?

Post Likes
    Is it digital? If it is and your power went out. I would check them but thats just me.

Post Likes
    yes, digital t-stat. totaline brand, installed last year w/ air handler.

i dont think it has any kind of battery in it... it's hardwired. am i missing something?

Post Likes
    A lot of the digital thermostats have a battery backup. That would explain if you had power outage it using up the batteries. Just check to see if it has them. If it does change them. My parents had the exact same problem. It's a cheap remedy if it works. If not then call your HVAC pro. What model number or whats the name of the stat?

Post Likes
    Are you sure the compressor is not going out on internal overload?
    Any time the condenser fan motor is energized so should the compressor.

I think you problem is deeper than just the T stat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jigmister View Post
    Are you sure the compressor is not going out on internal overload?
    Any time the condenser fan motor is energized so should the compressor.

I think you problem is deeper than just the T stat
    if it were a compressor problem, why would it work when i shut the T-stat off and on again? the one variable here is messin with the on/off of the t-stat, nothing else. btw - i opened the t-stat. no battery of any kind in it.

Post Likes
    Okay well then you may have a faulty t-stat. Best bet now is get a pro over there to check it out for you. Batteries was about as much DIY help as I can do for you sorry that didn't work out.

Post Likes
    maybe I do not understand.
    Your saying that the OUTDOOR fan motor on the condenser runs but the compressor dose not?
    your quote

"(the condensor blower still runs though)"

If this is the case, I am hard pressed to think it is a T stat problem.

Now if the indoor blower motor runs but nothing outside, then maybe T stat.

clarify and I maybe I can help

If I come off short, "sorry" I do not mean to. need the facts to help you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jigmister View Post
    maybe I do not understand.
    Your saying that the OUTDOOR fan motor on the condenser runs but the compressor dose not?
    your quote

"(the condensor blower still runs though)"

If this is the case, I am hard pressed to think it is a T stat problem.

Now if the indoor blower motor runs but nothing outside, then maybe T stat.

clarify and I maybe I can help

If I come off short, "sorry" I do not mean to. need the facts to help you.

hey - no need to apologize -- i really appreciate the help. everything works fine on cycle 1. On cycles 2,3,4+, both indoor AND outdoor fans start up -- however, the compressor does not. To get the compressor to turn on, i have to turn the t-stat off and back on again. when i do this, it seems to magically reset itself, and the compressor fires up like a charm and cools the house really well.
    i can't understand why turning the t-stat off and then on again would cure this problem. i did have a power outage about a week ago - i wonder if it fried something in the t-stat board, and turning it off then on again is analogous to rebooting a PC.

thanks,
    andy

Post Likes
    It sounds like your problem is in the unit not the thermostat. If you did have a power surge/outage it could have caused internal problems. Which when you turn the thermostat on and off you are applying/removing power to low voltage controls in unit. This can appear to be a thermostat problem. You might want to add a hard start kit to unit and check amp draw of compressor. Or it could be a number of other things like a loose wire causing overload. I have a sure fired way to solve if it is the t-stat. Jump the contacts behind your t-stat to your ac with a jumper lead a few times and see if it works normally. If so u have a bad relay in t-stat.

Post Likes
    sound to me like a weak compressor and it may need a hard start kit if it doesnt have one, and the reason the compressor wont start is cause it will only start when the pressures are equalized

just my 2 cents

Post Likes
    Call the service company back out.
    If it doesn't come on a second time by normal stat call, it should be easy for them to find out what the problem is.

Post Likes

its not the thermostat

if it was your thermostat then the outdoor fan would not come on, the thermostat has to send 24 volts to the contactor and energize it for the outdoor unit to come on. so if the outdoor fan is comming on, then your getting 24 volts from the thermostat to the contactor. your problem is internal and could be a number of diff things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in