Thread: 06D Oil loss

06D Oil loss

I have an 06D that has failed under warranty. 3 months or so. old one cycled on low pressure switch all winter with no indoor fan running. Fixed the fan and replaced the comp. Alll OK
    1 month later unit tripped the breaker. Started it and it took an awful slug seemed like oil. Ever since then the compressor pumps oil constantly.
    Pulled heads and plates and gaskets look OK. Checked piping and all OK. I cut out the suction accumulator beacause no matter how much oil I added it never came back. I found 2.5 Gallons in the accumulator. I put 1 on them in it trying to get some back. Oil return hole was plugged. Compressor ran another 2 months and now has a mechanical failure. Seems like bearings but I will tear it down tomorrow. Any ideas on the oil loss causes.

What was your oil pressure on startup, was the accumulator installed backwards possibly?

I had a situation just like this, another tech went on the service call and found compressor oil level low. He got a couple of gallons of oil and hooked his oil pump the suction service valve on the end bell and started pumping!
    The oil level didn't come up, so he added a total of 4 more gallons of oil to the system. Talk about an oil logged evap! Turns out the check valve between the motor and oil sump was stuck. I later found out that the compressor started shaking and "making loud noises" after the 5th gallon of oil. From what I could figure out, the oil was filling the motor section of the compressor until it got high enough to be pulled out by the velocity of the refrigerant. Replaced the compressor and drained all the excess oil out of the system. So far, I haven't had any problems.

I was thinking it could be the check valve in the compressor. I hope I can see it or take it out when I tear it down. This model compressor doesn't come set up to read oil pressure and I didn't add it on the 1st change out. I will this time though. Tha accumulator was in correctly, just the oil hole at the bottom of the U tube was blocked so no oil returned until it got up to the top of the tube

If you flip the compressor over and take off the base plate you can see the check valve. It has MPTs and just screws into the cast iron wall of the compressor body. I used a small punch to try moving the seat back and forth.
    Good luck!

Thanks. I'll post again after its running

What machine is this compressor in ?

Carrier 38ae016500 15 ton condensing unit.