Thread: Johnson water regulating valves question

Post Likes

Confused Johnson water regulating valves question

OK boyz - here is a question - hope someone can help - - - -

I have a 3 stage water cooled A/C that has a V48AE-2 * 3 way water valve on the first stage cooling - the bypass port is piped to the common water discharge header. The other 2 systems have V46AE-1 * 2 way water valves that have the condensers dump back into the common water discharge header.

This is a brand new unit that has the first stage with the bypassing water valve feature to establish there is condenser water flow via a flow switch; if there is water flow, the A/C will run.

I DO NOT require this ' feature', and even though the bypass line has a ball valve to shut it off, the rest of the valve(s) are piped in tight with no unions or isolation valves. The problem is that the 3 way water valve is bypassing like mad, I have tried everything short of taking it apart, but due to the critical nature of this A/C, don't want to disassemble anything until I have a repair kit on hand ( part # STT17A-617R ) - problem is Johnson tells my wholesalers one is not available for 2 weeks. Repair kits are available for the 2 way valve ( # STT17A-610R ), but they can't tell me if I can get away with the 2 way valve kit to use on the 3 way valve.

I have over the years done lots with Johnson 2 way valves, and have not had real good luck with taking them apart without having new parts on hand, but am limited on experience with the 3 way valves. If there was room to remove the valves and plop in a new 2 way valve in place of the 3 way valve, I would have done that yesterday, but I mean, it is tight!!

Finally, my question - If I had the ' innards ' for a V46 valve and a seat repair kit, could I take the bottom ' bypass ' portion off the 3 way valve, bolt on the pressure bellows, and make the 3 way valve a 2 way valve??

OR, is there a website that gives the blowup of these valves ??

Thanking you all in advance -

Dave Beauchesne CM
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Post Likes

You have a ball valve on the bypass line, shut it..theres your 2 way valve.

Post Likes

Water valve

I have closed it, it is bypassing like mad in the ' regular ' or calling for cooling mode - like I said, I did everything I could to get it to stop - loosen the spring tension, and take a couple screwdrivers to lift up the plunger off the seat, etc., the thing now maintains 135 psi head on R-22 - there must be something under the seat, as only a few hours earlier, it maintained 225 psi like a dream, with the bypass feature closed off. I have throttled the water supply ( between 80 and 90 psi by the way ) to keep the head pressure up, but I will tear the ball valve on the supply line soon I am afraid.

My concern is taking it apart without the necessary parts on hand, and when I do get it apart, can it be converted to a 2 way from a 3 way valve by removing the bottom ' block ' ???

Thanks for the reply--

Dave B

Post Likes
    I have seen this problem when the valve is not installed properly[flow]
    Is the valve in the supply or return piping?

Brooklyn, NY Occupation: HVAC Service Contractor
    Post Likes

You probably have this but maybe not.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Water Valves

PHIXITMAN - Yes, the arrows are all pointing the correct way, and the valve is in the supply line - - - -

ROC - Do you have a similar link for the V48 series 3 way regulating valve? - my ineptitude on the computer and the fellow I spoke with at Johnson have stymied my efforts to get any info - the link for the V46 series you sent is great - thank you!!

Thanks for the help so far - I will follow up when I get this figured out.

Dave B

Post Likes

Post Likes

Water valves

ROC - Thanks for the info - parts on order - got 4 days off - will advise on how things go.

Post Likes

Smile

Four days off in the summer. Geez what a great job you got. I haven't had a summer vacation in 36 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by roc service View Post
    Four days off in the summer. Geez what a great job you got. I haven't had a summer vacation in 36 years.
    Yeah, my job right now is OK that way - - - but after 28 years in this biz, I still have only had two weeks off in a row ONCE, never more than that - oh well, that is the price you pay.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in