rackrookie is offline Regular Member - bad email address Contact the Admin

Copeland discus oil change

Thank you guys from all your responses to my oil sampling doubts. One more thought: whenever I change the oil of one of the parallel compressors, should I add up the same amount of oil I just emptied from it or go according to COPELAND's oil charge quantities ?

Since it has been established on the other thread that the oil circulates through the entire system and is common to all compressors..........just curious - why would you want to change the oil on just one body?

rackrookie is offline Regular Member - bad email address Contact the Admin
    I have a rack compressor which has not been used in a long time. I found it with valves shut and power lines disconnected. I checked the windings and seem OK. Oil level looks good in sightglass too. But since it has been resting for a while, I decided to change oil and re-vacuum it before trying to start it. That is why I want to know the right amount of oil.

Be vewy vewy caiwful my friend.

There could be mechanical reasons behind the compressor sitting idle.
    • Locked up
    • Valves/reeds blown out
    • Busted connecting rod/Crankshaft

Curiosity forces the question: If the compressor has been off for a long period of time, what circumstances have changed that require you to fire it up now?

If you are going to light it off, there are a couple of things I would check above and beyond the electrical.
    1. Drain the oil (like you said) - but see if you can look around in the belly of the beast for broken parts or anything that doesn't look right.
    2. Pick up a valve plate for the compressor and pull the head. Check the plate over to make sure everything is where it belongs and then inspect the piston heads
      • you should be able to tell if you've got a busted connecting rod by doing this.
      • If the valve plate and pistons look good, reinstall the old plate but use the gaskets that come with the new one. Reorder gaskets and return the valve plate to wholesaler when the they come in.
    3. And finally - getting back to your original question - fill the compressor crankcase with oil up to approximately 1/2 sight glass.
    My guess is there is a valid reason the compressor is idle - proceed with a very skeptical mindset here.

MT is right theirs a reason that pump has been down.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here