Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds

Well it happened He tied the record, Whats everyone think.

did he earn it or not??
    I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.

What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Baseball admin is partly responsible for not having a policy in effect sooner.
    The problem with the record is that baseball did not implement an effective drug policy until a few years ago.
    Many of the substances that are now banned and tested for, were not banned and tested for when these records started being assaulted.

Now, there is new evidence being shown that indicates that certain substances enhance vision as well as enhancing the healing process after an injury.
    If scientific evidence indicates that performance enhancing drugs affect and improve vision as is being asserted, there is no doubt that Barry Bonds had more than just a slight advantage.
    As a huge baseball fan and ex-player, I'm the last guy that would want to minimize the skills that Barry Bonds has. He is a gifted hitter and a fine athlete.
    The fact that he was able to heal faster than those who did not use performance enhancers is reason enough for some to question his records.
    If his vision was also enhanced, he would be able to pick up the spin on a curveball faster and distinguish a slider or a fastball quicker and that's just an unfair advantage, IMO.

I dont watch sports and care less how any team is doing, never mind the drugged up accomplishments of some of the overpaid players.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by chillbilly View Post
    Baseball admin is partly responsible for not having a policy in effect sooner.
    The problem with the record is that baseball did not implement an effective drug policy until a few years ago.
    Many of the substances that are now banned and tested for, were not banned and tested for when these records started being assaulted.

Now, there is new evidence being shown that indicates that certain substances enhance vision as well as enhancing the healing process after an injury.
    If scientific evidence indicates that performance enhancing drugs affect and improve vision as is being asserted, there is no doubt that Barry Bonds had more than just a slight advantage.
    As a huge baseball fan and ex-player, I'm the last guy that would want to minimize the skills that Barry Bonds has. He is a gifted hitter and a fine athlete.
    The fact that he was able to heal faster than those who did not use performance enhancers is reason enough for some to question his records.
    If his vision was also enhanced, he would be able to pick up the spin on a curve ball faster and distinguish a slider or a fastball quicker and that's just an unfair advantage, IMO.
    Chillbilly I have to agree with that.
    I have been a life long Giants fan. for years I have been saying 2 things regarding this Steroids and other substances debate: A) prior to these new findings, I had that argument that steroids did not affect vision in a positive way! but in my opinion, Hank will always be the man as he achieved this record in less games as well! B) I do not know nor do I believe anyone that I know or posts on these boards knows or remembers watching Babe, Aaron,Mays =the greats and can say that they were 100% all natural.
    I say this because we all know historically Babe especially was a boozer, a heavy smoker, gambler ETC ETC ETC. Horse racing was Huge in those days, and Horse (pills) and other enhancing substances were common place in horse races in those days as well!
    who is to say that any of the greats didn't get their hands on any of that stuff?! Just a theory of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    I dont watch sports and care less how any team is doing, never mind the drugged up accomplishments of some of the overpaid players.

Roy
    It takes a huge amount of talent and dedication to be one of less than a thousand people in the world who are a part of a MLB roster.
    I have a great amount of respect for them because I know what it takes to get to a level far below them.
    I am in the minority because I happen to think they are paid as they should be.
    It's easy to judge them as being overpaid until you experience what they go through to realize their dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Chillbilly I have to agree with that.
    I have been a life long Giants fan. for years I have been saying 2 things regarding this Steroids and other substances debate: A) prior to these new findings, I had that argument that steroids did not affect vision in a positive way! but in my opinion, Hank will always be the man as he achieved this record in less games as well! B) I do not know nor do I believe anyone that I know or posts on these boards knows or remembers watching Babe, Aaron,Mays =the greats and can say that they were 100% all natural.
    I say this because we all know historically Babe especially was a boozer, a heavy smoker, gambler ETC ETC ETC. Horse racing was Huge in those days, and Horse (pills) and other enhancing substances were common place in horse races in those days as well!
    who is to say that any of the greats didn't get their hands on any of that stuff?! Just a theory of mine!
    That's a good point pagan. To say that The Babe did it on beer and hot dogs might not be true.
    Baseball players were using amphetamines as far back as the late 1800's.

As far as I'm concerned, hitting a baseball is one if not the hardest things you can do in sports, It desn't matter how strong you are or how good you vision is, you still have to hit the baall at the right time and in the right place. Most drugs were legal in the days of Babe Ruth, who is to say he did not enjoy his share before a game.Let Bonds have the accolades that go with his accomplisment.

No one should compare anyone to Ruth...else my only question would be "oh yeah? How many games did so-and-so win as a lefty starter?"

Seriously... you can't compare different eras very well, drugs or no.

Take a look at Aaron's career, it was a steady performance over a long time that got him the record. Look at his single season stats... I don't think he ever led in home runs.

Many at bats is a two-edged sword as well. Take Rose... still the most hits ever I think. Ah... but he also made the most outs ever.

As for Bonds, I can't stand the guy, but he can have the title without argument from me.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

I'm much more impressed with A-Rod's accomplishment over the weekend.
    When the truth eventually comes out about Bonds will they remove the record or will there be the * next to it? In my mind he will never prove he didn't do the steroids because I believe he is 100% guilty and it will eventually be proven.
    Being a huge Cardinals fan, Mark McGwire really disappointed when he refused to answer the questions--but that's another story I guess.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, hitting a baseball is one if not the hardest things you can do in sports,
    Try hitting a sliding puck with a stick while moving on ice skates.

I agree with Chill, baseball takes the blame for not having a policy in place soon enough regarding performance enhancing drugs.
    As someone else who loved playing baseball, I agree that hitting is not easy, but Barry Bonds is juice monkey.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

The thing that I find most interesting is everyone is critical of Bonds, but no pitcher want to face him. Even at age 43 and I'm sure with all the attention that is on him, he is still the most feared man in baseball. No other player gets walked as much as he does. Maybe he used steroids, maybe he didn't, but with baseball watching him like a hawk the last few years I'm sure he's been clean for a least awhile. And even at 43 he still puts up the big numbers and pitchers still fear and walk him more than anyone. If this isn't testament to his incredible talent than what is?

Hank Aarron never even hit 50 homeruns in one year.

Sports fans love to debate things to death. Compare one era to another, one drug to another etc etc. But Bonds is the best for now. And deserves his due.

Try hitting a sliding puck with a stick while moving on ice skates.

Uh-huh. Wanna see the scar on my chin?

I agree with Chill, baseball takes the blame for not having a policy in place soon enough regarding performance enhancing drugs.
    As someone else who loved playing baseball, I agree that hitting is not easy, but Barry Bonds is juice monkey.

Also agree.

And ya can't failrly compare eras. I think at one time that a ball bouncing from the outfield and over the fence was considered a HR...even during Ruth's time. And how deep and high were the outfield walls/fences?

Should drug-enhanced records be allowed? No. But neither should a guy be locked out if no rules are in place and enforced.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    [b]
    Should drug-enhanced records be allowed? No. But neither should a guy be locked out if no rules are in place and enforced.
    Absolutely. Baseball should bear the brunt of the criticism on this one.
    No effective policy at a time when the players union was without a doubt the strongest union in the world.
    Barry Bonds deserves no asterisk next to his name. He is a great hitter despite the fact that the only fans that love him reside in San Francisco
    He has never tested positive regardless of whether he has juiced or not.
    As for A-Rod, I'm a Red Sox fan so I think he sucks. LOL
    Just kidding. He's a great player and he'll likely shatter Bonds homer record anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast