how to find how many stages a system has?

how to find how many stages a system has?

Hello everyone.
    I have a RUUD combo: UPKA-031JAZ heat pump and UBEH-21J18SUNA air handler.
    I have always wondered how do you find out exactly how many stages your system has...
    I spoke to many people and read many posts, articles, operation manuals, etc. but never actually asked a pro.
    This is what I'm doing now, asking a pro.
    Maybe I'm mixing things because I'm not a professional but some people told me I have a 1c2h system (1c=heat pump, 2h=heat pump and furnace (or air handler)).
    Then, I got a hold of another source who told me that the stages are indicated by how many coils my air handler has and how they come into play by sequence e.g first sequence-2 coils, second sequence-2 coils after x seconds and third sequence-1 coil after another x seconds...
    I obviously need that information to be able to better program my thermostat and in the same time to save some money.
    Anticipated thanks for any answer.

You have a single stage heat pump. I believe you would need to know the model number of the strip heater package to know how many stages of aux heat you have.

Its best not to use temp set back when you have a heat pump with electric aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Would a picture help? I only have 2 posts, the other one has 2 pics attached.

Looks like its 2 stages of aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

thank you very much!

I understand why, but...

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You have a single stage heat pump. I believe you would need to know the model number of the strip heater package to know how many stages of aux heat you have.

Its best not to use temp set back when you have a heat pump with electric aux heat.
    I understand why it's best to not use temp set back but in the area where I live in, the temperatures are often going below -15C sometimes even below -25. I read somewhere that these things (heat pumps) cannot be efficient below a certain temperature. My thermostat has a feature to lock out the heat pump at a certain temp and I set it to -5C. Below this point it really doesn't matter if I use temp set back because the consumption will be almost the same since the only element being used is the air handler hence the coil strips wouldn't you think?
    Also, can it be written in stone at what temp below 0 a heat pump becomes ineffective or it depends on the heat pump type, shape (good order/working), size or just the area temperature characteristics, or all of these? LOL

Many heat pumps are still efficient at -10F/-23C, others stop at 10F/-12C. Varies with the heat pumps COP.
    Contractor locator map

thank you.