Lonworks Repeater

Where do you recommend I get a Lonworks repeater?

What brand and how much?

I'd recommend a Loytec switch instead.

Which one?

Well, it sounds like you only need to extend a single comm so I'd say the 2 port FT-10. If you know your node count that may change things.

What makes the Loytec switch better than a repeater is the "smart" switch mode which doesn't waste sending traffic downstream when you don't have to do so.

http://www.loytec.com/assets/content...et_LSwitch.pdf

Thanks Sysint,

How much?

Call Al at Loytec Americas.. he can fill you in.

Others may have a cheaper repeater, however all things being considered this is overall a better way to go.

Loytec can help an installer overcome alot of crap network cabling.

Loytec does make a good product.

Also check out
    http://www.engenuity.com/

The best option other than a Loytec switch as sysint states is a router configured as a repeater. A repeater repeats everything including noise. A router configured as a repeater will only pass the valid packets and not the noise. Loytec's switch does a good job of this as well.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Smile Repeater

Another good option is using an Echelon LPR-10 router configured as a repeater. If you are not using an LNS tool to setup the router as a repeater there is a simple utility on the Echelon web site that will handle this for you.

Check it's price against the Loytec product. The LPR-10 will work at least as good the L-switch for this application.

?

Lonman
    I haven't worked with repeaters before and there is a LPR10 here. I can't find the utility you are talking about. Can I just use R2? Do I need to do a find and commission?

Echelon wants $245 to tell me.
    http://www.echelon.com/support/suppo...leincident.htm

Go to the Echelon downloads and look for Repeater Config in the 'Router' section

Echelon router configuration as repeater.

You can use the repeaterconfig utility from Echelon for sure. I'm not sure about R2 support of routers. I think AX has some basic support for 1 router, but I don't know about R2.

You can find the repeaterConfig utility at Echelon's web site in the Support->Downloads section under routers. We are not allowed to post web site links, sorry. You will need to search it out. The file is RepeaterConfig100.zip.

You will need a login/password. If you don't already have one you can obtain one immediately by filling out a short form.

BTW - you can email a request like this one without a support contract to Echelon (look for the support email address at the site as well). Echelon will respond back but your question will go to the back of the queue behind any paying support customers.

Also, another option in getting technical support is to contact the Echelon sales person covering the buildings market. He worked in the HVAC market for Honeywell for several years before joining Echelon and can answer quite a numer of technical questions. Contact info is a no-no here so call Echelon and ask for the contact information for the buildings market sales person.