Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post

While checking the contactor coil voltage I accidentally touched my meter lead from L1 of 480 to one side of a 115V contactor coil.

same exact thing that i did. you were lucky, like i said in my other post, burned my hands and was out for a month.

Lockout tagout will save your life as well as others.There are to many Thomas Edison wannabees out there.Always use the live dead live test when working on anything.Test voltage phase to phase and also each phase to ground.

Confused

probably had 13 hours in by then......In a hurry - had more calls to take.
    I know what you mean.... reminds me of a hurry almost gettin me killed....

not too long ago actually.

Had to change a 200a three phase breaker in a big panel.... full of 100, 200 and 300 amp breakers all feeding seperate panels (208/120 3 ph). There is a a large Breaker on top and centered that was like 800 or more I dont even remember but I, on a quick look immediately thought it was the main for the breakers below. I told the boss I could change it in 10 minutes or less. I turned off the individual breakers, thew off the "main" and grabbed my screwdriver to set the land speed record for breaker changes.... A helper was with me so just to set a good example I explained to him that you must verify even when you know you just killed it.... meter shows 208... .. wtf.... turns out that my "main" was the feed for the motor control center next to my panel..... the main breaker I needed was on the other side of the building.

Assume nothing. the real question is....would I have verified it if I wasn't teaching someone? I hope so ....but Im not sure.

"Has any one been shocked by 460v, it aint fun."

Just curious....To get hit by 460, you have to have contact with 3 legs...How did that happen??

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post

Just curious....To get hit by 460, you have to have contact with 3 legs...How did that happen??
    460V is the incoming power on some machines. Certainly most techs get the idea of what is meant. If we need to break it down for you, not sure you'd understand anyway.

Probably never heard the term "Freon","Vacuumed", "Sniffer", "Amped-Out" or "Ohmed-Out" then either I would guess .

just the other day bohn condensing unit with the stupid disconnect built into the door, square metal bolt that fits into hole at fuse block. needed to kill power, stuck her in there okay, but needed to take it out to get the door shut when finished, and set disconnect back to normal. like an a%$#$#@ trying to thread a needle, i tried to carefully pull it out without grazing a fuse. needless to say, i missed, and got my butt thrown back about five feet. felt like having an 80 lb bag of concrete thrown on your chest. my muscles were aching and i was useless for about an hour. thank god i was resting my other on my knee, and was not touching the chassis of the unit. i know better than what i did. but i was lazy and did not shut the breaker. always take the time to ensure your safety, no one else will.

you only need to touch one

460v and multiple ampssssssssssssss

Rowe Machinery 1975

I had just gotten back from Germany, with Frau and child in tow and found a job with this company in Dallas. I was rookie , but, had knowledge of circuits and relays so, they put me on wiring big panels for shear tables and roller tables. Here I am on panel with terminal blocks and relays 48"x 54" and I go to get some relays from supply room and somebody turns power on a disconnect on floor to check out, push-buttons for roller table, they forgot to tell me so, I am wiring in relay and put wire on top terminals and hook a line and BAM circuit complete with my finger on line, knock me off roll around stool I'm on and I hit the floor and supervisor runs over and grabs disconnect and ask are you ok. NO, I just got the **** knocked out of me, they thought I might be hurt bad so gave me the day off with pay. Hurt like hell, but I was back the nexted day.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

460V is the incoming power on some machines. Certainly most techs get the idea of what is meant. If we need to break it down for you, not sure you'd understand anyway.

Probably never heard the term "Freon","Vacuumed", "Sniffer", "Amped-Out" or "Ohmed-Out" then either I would guess .
    Please do break it down for me....No wait, let me break it down for you......On 460v 3 phase entrance you have 2 legs at 115v, and 1 high leg at 230v (In Alabama, and similar in all other states), all are 120 degrees out of phase. I was just making a joke about being able to contact all 3 legs at the same time to to get the full 460v, but I didn't think about getting a response from a smart a$$ that doesn't understand electricity.
    And yes I do understand these other terms:
    Freon...The stuff I buy in the big can that makes peoples thingajigs cool their house more better.
    Vacuumed....What I try to get my old lady to do a few times a year.
    Sniffer....My helper that I call in to find out where a strange odor is coming from.
    Amped-Out...What happens when you use too many minutes on your pre-paid cell phone.
    Ohmed_Out.....When Georg Simon Ohm passed away.

Well dang ......lets cancle the thread then, our bad.

3 legs?

Coulda swore it was just two.

The point is that even one to even a half assed ground can cancle your next appointment.

To get hit by 460, you have to have contact with 3 legs
    Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by bustawrench1 View Post
    Wrong!
    Prove me wrong. Explain how you can get hit by 460 without having contact with all 3 legs that make up 460!

Quote Originally Posted by Wj Stevens View Post
    Well dang ......lets cancle the thread then, our bad.

3 legs?

Coulda swore it was just two.

The point is that even one to even a half assed ground can cancle your next appointment.
    I totally agree ! This is just a peev of mine from people I hear talking at the supply house about getting hit with 277 & 460. MOST of the time it's actually only 115, but yes any voltage is not a pleasant experience.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast