Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I have been hit with 277, and after that I bought some cheap combination
    locks from Wal-Mart. I now cut off breaker, and lock box, or handle.

That hirt, and I learned from it. It will not happen again.

I have been an electrician since 85 and luckily have never been blasted by anything other than 120 and evenn than only maybe a hand to ground, never across my chest.But I learned in the electrical trade to always know where my non working hand is when I am in a panel.

Quote Originally Posted by acjourneyman View Post
    I have been an electrician since 85 and luckily have never been blasted by anything other than 120 and even than only maybe a hand to ground, never across my chest.But I learned in the electrical trade to always know where my non working hand is when I am in a panel.
    Curious, I work occasionally with a sparky that I watched installing a bolt-in breaker one day. He had one hand on the handle of the nut-driver and the other hand on the shaft bolting onto a live bussbar. Why no zap? I don't get it cuz I've been on glass ladder and been smacked.
    Last edited by rango; 08-04-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rango View Post
    Curious, I work occasionally with a sparky that I watched installing a bolt-in breaker one day. He had one hand on the handle of the nut-driver and the other hand on the shaft bolting onto a live bussbar. Why no zap? I don't get it cuz I've been on glass ladder and been smacked.
    Answer is that electricity has to 'complete a circuit' to somewhere to 'bite you'. But I will say this clearly: DO NOT use this as an excuse to take chances. Because you never know when you ARE completing a circuit and do not realize it.

Best to ALWAYS have the power off and KNOW it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by refer guy View Post
    Two days ago I was working on a 460 volt lennox, air handler, I found the blower motor grounded, went to Lennox came back, and started wiring everything together. while i was gone one of the employees went over and turned the breaker on thinking they could fix the A/C and left it on. Well when I stripped the line voltage all that i remember is that I saw a explosion, felt the voltage going through my finger tips and grabbing my shoulders, also for about two seconds i dont know if the electricity forced my eyes shut or if i actually went blind, after all this i could feel my self going backwards from the top of a eight foot ladder, at this point i came to and was able to hold myself. What was crazy too was that when i went blind i could hear my self scream, and when I climbed down from the ladder none of the employees had heard me because they were too bussy making the juices they sell, I never found out who was messing with the breakers, all the employees are a bunch of young punks fresh out of high school who think they know it all. I learned my lesson, from now on im putting tags on the breakers or locking them if i can, and checking voltage every time i step away and come back. that was freaking scary and after the whole thing when i returned to finish the job i was hesitant to touch them wires. i was checking for voltage five times before i touched any wire.
    lesson learned....don't take anything for granted and don't trust anybody.....this will help you keep all of your parts where they belong.

wow man as long as your ok,thats all that matters, In this bussiness ya live and learn. If that was me though someone would have gotten yelled at cause i dont put up with that crap nor have any patience for it. When i was an apprentice the mechanic i was working with told me " even if you know the powers off and you have to work on the machine always work on it like its live." its just one of things that kept me safe I guess.
    Local 638

Currently

I'm glad your o.k but, I am suprised that you would leave the site, return to work on 460 without checking voltage again.

And if there was no disconnect at unit (code in canada), I would make dam sure no one could get to the panel while I was working.

" There is old electricians and bold electricians but there ain't no old bold
    electricians"
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

I've been shocked by more power that was "off" then "on", trust nobody and always verify for yourself, and be careful trusting the little voltage testers with the light, tattle tells or whatever, some dont read when small backfeeds of lower then 40 volts is present.

matt

Has Any One Been Shocked By 460

By All Means Get And Carry Lock Out Tags And Locks. I Carry Them And Lock Out When I Cant See The Disconect, Even On Residential.
    Safety Takes More Time But Its Better Than Going Home Injured.

I'm religious when it comes to lock out/tag out. However, carelessness can get the best of ya.
    About eight years ago, I was working on an old Mammoth packaged RTU. I was checking the system pressures. To do so, I had to crawl into the unit to get at the service valves. The compressor was running and the space was tight. My refer wrench slipped out of my hand and I went to retrieve it. Contorting my arm, I reached over the compressor. While doing so, I felt something move. It was the compressor terminal cover! Shortly after I was hit through my arm with 208. Fortunately, it blew me back against the condenser coil. Man, that arm of mine stung for three days. I had some redness but no burns and I was alive.
    Lesson learned: Never stick any part of your body where you can not see it. Know your surroundings at all times. Do your job and return home safely at the end of the day.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

in Canada we have 575-600v just for fun - 1 leg is 347 v to ground

Its killed more electricans and others than all other voltages combined
    very common in building lighting and thats where it gets you

you ain't been lit up till you get hit by 347 man its a killer I'm sure 277 is almost as bad and I wouldn't want to test them both to see if ones harder than the other
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

That electrician never got zapped because the handle was insulated but what a stupid SOB, I would never touch a live busbar, what if someone touched you inadvertantly and he was grounded, you both would get it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast