Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19

Thread: JB gauges

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    565

    JB gauges

    Anyone use the JB digital gauges? I am wondering if they are any better or worse than YJ and Digicool, they all have the same functions just that JB is 200 buck cheaper the other thing that i question is the temp probes, they have a stero-like connector instead of the K type. And what do you do to the probes to get a good reading? I use pipe clamps and a fieldpiece that serves me well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    Anyone use the JB digital gauges? I am wondering if they are any better or worse than YJ and Digicool, they all have the same functions just that JB is 200 buck cheaper the other thing that i question is the temp probes, they have a stero-like connector instead of the K type. And what do you do to the probes to get a good reading? I use pipe clamps and a fieldpiece that serves me well.
    They were tested on another site. I had them for a day and they broke. You cannot compare them to the Digicools. The only things about them that were any good what so ever was the temperature function seemed to be good and the manifold was decent. Its your choice but they are at the lowest end of the digitals. The Yellow Jacket and DigiCools are the same made by DigiCool. The Y/J and DigiCools have a ****ty strap probe however Digicool is coming out with a clamp type probe and they have a water tight connector at the unit. The Y/J and Digicool only have one probe so that is a minus. If price is what is going to make the decision for you then be warned, you do get what you pay for.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    7

    dig gauges

    I have not had any problems with my JB digital gauges, They are less expensive than other makes but work well, The temp. probes are excellent,
    they are a half moon type probe with a couple velcro straps.
    I like being able to toggle through my readings as I charge a unit and
    being able to see the sh and sc readings digitally displayed is helpful.
    one thing I dont like about them is they only give you three ports on the manifold with the smaller vac hose, otherwise not too bad for the buck.

    wethead72....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    NW IL.
    Posts
    3,935
    My boss got a set of those JB's when they first came out he's on his third warranty set. A plant maintenance crew in town is having them same problem with them.

    I have the Testo 523. The version that first came out over two years ago. Only problem I had is that the plug recently broke off the temperature probe. The newer 523 uses a different configuration plug for the temperature probe.

    So


























    you have to ask is that $200 less going to be worth the possible hassle.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    The display on the JB set is horrid. It can only display one value at a time, and won't display the saturated temp.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  6. #6
    The YJ 40802 (the one on the right) uses a 41067 probe which has changed from the thicker wire (because it can pick-up heat of a solar load) to the much thinner wire and a 3/16 diameter NTC. Lose the velcro strap because it can slip. For 6 bucks mount the probe to a Irwin quick release clamp.H.D. or Lowes.
    FEN

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    565
    thats for the feedback. think i will keep saving, i really dont need them but they are on my list to buy by the end of the year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,633
    We have 3 sets of the J/Bs out in the field. Been out over three months now, all
    with no problems. Hosed up and hung in the back of the service van.

    If you want a little more bang, I would go with the Testos.

    The single display on the J/Bs is a little bit of a downer, but the dual temperature
    readings serve a lot of value.

    Also, the J/Bs do show saturation temp., but only on the low side.

    Testo also has the ability to go wireless on temp. probes. Y/J and D/C do not.

    For us, we like the J/Bs. When we want to invest more in digitals, we will go with
    the Testos.........No doubt.

    GF

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    Attachment 3288Name:  July142007 001.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  29.1 KB
    I think some of you will remember this that was used on the Tiff digitals
    Name:  July142007 002.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  47.5 KB
    This is the inside of it.
    Name:  July142007 004.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  49.5 KB
    This is the inside of the J/B digital
    Name:  July142007 005.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  25.3 KB

    It is not a good picture but you can see that the sensors are about the same and are unshielded millivolt sensors. The low side on the J/B quit working for awhile and then the high side was way out compared to two other DigiCool digitals.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    Name:  Aug42007 001.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  51.9 KB

    Name:  Aug42007 002.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  56.5 KB

    These are shielded transducers in a DigiCool 1200 and are in all of the DigiCool digitals and the Yellow Jacket digital. They are stainless steel and do not get bothered by any electrical noise. The Testo digital uses a ceramic transducer that is sealed with a oring. I don't know if the leak problem that they have had is because of this or something else.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    It looks to me like the JB is not even in the same league, in both construction and display quality, as the Digi-Cool/YJ and Testo products. Not surprising, since it is substantially less expensive.
    The circuit board on the JB looks like something that came in a Heathcraft kit....

    I do have one question for the guys with the JB sets.

    If the gauge has pressure on it, and you turn the power off and back on, does it still read that pressure, or does it auto zero when you turn it on?

    Master Cool is also coming out with, or has come out with, a digital refrigerant gauge set. If the price range I saw a rumor about is true, <$200, it must be the biggest POS going...
    Last edited by mark beiser; 08-06-2007 at 01:23 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I do have one question for the guys with the JB sets.

    If the gauge has pressure on it, and you turn the power off and back on, does it still read that pressure, or does it auto zero when you turn it on?

    Master Cool is also coming out with, or has come out with, a digital refrigerant gauge set. If the price range I saw a rumor about is true, <$200, it must be the biggest POS going...
    I am not sure about that particular instance Mark. They are supposed to be powered
    up with no pressure. If left on a system, they should continue to read the same
    pressure however. I will see what I can find out.

    Yeh, not too sure about the Master Cools........around $250.00 for manifold only.
    They are supposed to be out in the automotive industry now, with 134a profile.
    From what I understand, they will leave them there for a while before they introduce
    them to the HVAC market.

    REFCO is bringing a set out also, later in the summer I guess.

    I will hold my judgement on all of them until I get a chance to see and use them.

    Lower price does not necessarily mean a POS. Remember Toyota?

    I will not have anything to do with the Y/Js or the D/Cs. Single sensor? what
    is up with that. For right now, regardless of others luck, we like the J/Bs. We have
    not experienced any problems with them. If we do, they have a 1 year over the
    counter warranty. Dual sensors allow splits on the condenser, offering Temp.1
    Temp. 2, plus deltaT of T1 and T2. Read SH and SC at the same time. Come
    off the condenser walk inside and read deltaT at the evaporator, all with one
    instrument.

    Like I said before, when we want more in a digital gauge, we will go with the
    Testo. They are for true system analysis, trending etc.

    GF

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It looks to me like the JB is not even in the same league, in both construction and display quality, as the Digi-Cool/YJ and Testo products. Not surprising, since it is substantially less expensive.
    The circuit board on the JB looks like something that came in a Heathcraft kit....

    I do have one question for the guys with the JB sets.

    If the gauge has pressure on it, and you turn the power off and back on, does it still read that pressure, or does it auto zero when you turn it on?

    Master Cool is also coming out with, or has come out with, a digital refrigerant gauge set. If the price range I saw a rumor about is true, <$200, it must be the biggest POS going...
    Hey Mark have you thought about hooking the DigiCool and the Testo together with t fittings to see how they track one another? I did that with the j/b and DigiCools. It was hooked to a 134a auto fitting but works on a 1/4 flare.

    You are right about the Mastercool digital. I saw the one they make for Mac Tools and it's right there with Fisher-Price.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event