finding a blower door switch bypassed

finding a blower door switch bypassed

So i was changing a blower fan capacitor and found the door switch bypassed at an apartment complex and i told the maintenance guy it needs to be fixed cause if that door falls off it can cause the flame to roll out and its a natural draft and theres an opening where the hx transitions to the flue and6 inches down from the opening is a limit switch i told him it would suck all the products of combustion into the air stream.. Noted it all down on invoice and later that day some one told me its alright the door wont fall off and if it does those limits would go off its okay to just bypass them and leave it it takes to long to get the switch...... What are your guys thoughts

Shouldn't be bypassed. I would have disabled furnace until you have a new switch. CYA

or maybe screw the door on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dis abling the furnace is way overkill and probably against any codes. Would you disable someones shop vac because the ground pin is missing? Informing tenant and building owner and providing a price to correct it is the best you can do. Your responsibility ends there. It is then on a signed service ticket and you are covered. I have even gone as far as writing it on a separate line with a spot for customer to initial it (that I explained the danger) so no one can say I didn't understand what he wrote. Shutting it down no way.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

shoot a screw in the door and move on, switches intent is to shut unit down should door fall off, a screw solves that.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Put a couple screws in it and inform the owners. I wouldn't turn someone's heat off over that.

My biggest annoyance. If its intact I rewire it and note it. If its taped I note it. If its missing it usually turns up in the equipment or nearby I note it. Probably saw 5 this week.

the worst case carbon monoxide poison i ever saw was from a gas furnace that did not have a door switch . the tennant replaced the filter and left the door off and when the blower came on it created a negative pressure in the closet and contaminated 4 units . ems took a mother and here baby to the emergency room with the baby in critical condition . ems called the city code compliance and the gas company ,the gas company cut off the gas to the whole bldg untill 7 furnaces were inspected and the culprit furnace replaced,technically the culprit furnace did not have to be replaced except the owner would not allow any of us to touch it only replace it . he said he would not take the responsibility for it
    We really need change now

Was this case of co poisoning a furnace with a draft inducer?

It was a natural draft with an openening where the hx transitioned to the flue. Right below that was a limit

I was imagining the draft inducer on a modern furnace would not allow this to happen. Not saying it couldn't. I'm not sure which would win the battle of static pressure but I would put my money on the blower vs the inducer if the door to the furnace room sealed tightly.

I'm glad the new furnaces have a combustion air intake pipe. I always pipe the combustion air from outdoors not using room air.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    Was this case of co poisoning a furnace with a draft inducer?
    It was a natual draft furnace ,that played a part in the bosses decision to not fix it
    We really need change now

Unfortunately I see this all the time. The wires are cut or there is tape over the switch.

Switches that don't open or are bypassed get called out by property inspectors on real estate transactions. I bought a handful of OEM switches from Lennox that I use on just about any brand. This is a plunger style the kind I like. Lennox OEM part number 51W15.

http://www.hvacpartsshop.com/25j13--...ockswitch.aspx

The link is just to show a photo of the part.
    Inventor/Manufacturer:
    KoppLift™ Hand Truck Lifting Bar
    http://www.amazon.com/shops/JohnGKoppLLC
    Video
    http://youtu.be/FsSViwAEz7A