Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! I live 50 ft from a Trane RTHA255

Help HVAC Pros!

I am a security resident at a school and we live in a mobile unit literally 50 ft from the boiler room which does not even have a solid wall facing our house (some genius decided the vent must go there). We moved here 4 yrs ago and when it first kicked on we tolerated it as a necesarry evil because it would turn off after dusk. Weekends were peaceful as well.
    They since remodelled the schooled the school and now it runs nonstop!
    This is a Helical Rotary Liquid Chiller and at times especially when it is cooler out it emits the loudest most obnoxious sound for hours at a time, we cannot even carry on a conversation on the front porch. It keeps us up at night and generally annoys the heck out of us. It has also gotten much louder.
    They used to turn the boilers off but now they are also running full year. The school is actually very inconsistent temp-wise, some areas are warm and others freezing. The system seems to fighting itself!
    My question is: Is it normal for it to run all the time without shutting down and for it to be so incredibly loud?
    Also, what can happen if it seizes or jams in some way? Is it a potential danger to us?
    Thanks! Any input would be most appreciated!

i believe trane has a lead lined covering that is an option that goes over the compressors i have seen them on the rtaa chillers. as far as your saftey is concerned the only thing you may want to see if the discharge relief valve can be piped away from any dwellings but at 50' your pretty safe.you would have to look up your local/state codes.

Angry

Solutions are:
    Run for the school board
    Raise hell with the school board
    Contact the superintendent or business manager
    Contact the village / county about noise ordinances
    Contact the facilities department (maintenance) and speak to the director
    Get your neighbors on board with any complaints
    Contact your local newspaper
    Contact a lawyer

You just stepped into a highly political situation between school boards, teacher's unions, PTA, facilities department, principles, teachers, parents of students attending said school, after school activities groups... the list goes on forever. None of the above mentioned people get along with each other regardless of what they say. I have some very personal experience with this, as I was a maintenance dept. supervisor at a large, wealthy and populated school district for several years. In the end you have rights and they should not be infringed upon. If it is as bad as you say don't give up until you are satisfied. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is to be diplomatic at first and not threaten anyone. The people you are about to start dealing with have egos bigger than the universe. I'm actually on your side.

Good Luck,

Joe Paul

Chilly neighbour

Thanks! You have addressed our worst fears; we are part of a unique program where our landlord is the school board and the scary part is that if we annoy them they only need 30 days notice to tell us to move, trailer and all. I don't think it's worth ticking them off in any way, it's comparable to biting the hand that feeds you I guess.
    I don't think our rights are very important to them, when they remodelled the school they turned the water and electricity off multiple times without letting us know. We perform a valuable service to them by keeping the grounds free of vandalims but living here is a privelege. I guess with what you said, my inclination is to put up with it... sigh.

those trane chillers are rediculously loud. don't get me wrong, they are great units...i have four that I take care of...two installed myself...but good grief. that high pitched whine will carry for hundreds of feet, sounding just as loud as if you were close enough to spit on it. you can call your local code enforcement dept, and they should come out and take some decibell readings for you. most jurisdictions have limits for daytime and much lower limits for after 10pm. good luck.
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

I have been involved in many noise issues with these things and really, the only way to knock it down is build a wall around them with sound absorbing material, nothing else works, the blankets are useless.

Good thing it was a DB vertical.

Its like buying a house next to the airport.

A squeaky wheel should get enough grease to get a wall built
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

im not familiar with the sound but is it worse then living in a house right next to a rail road track .. & every train that coms through is loud as hell as it is but constantly toots its damn horn ? if so id be pretty pissed

Quote Originally Posted by hvaccolo View Post
    those trane chillers are rediculously loud. don't get me wrong, they are great units...i have four that I take care of...two installed myself...but good grief. that high pitched whine will carry for hundreds of feet, sounding just as loud as if you were close enough to spit on it. you can call your local code enforcement dept, and they should come out and take some decibell readings for you. most jurisdictions have limits for daytime and much lower limits for after 10pm. good luck.
    Darn! I was hoping you would say that they have a short lifespan.
    Don't they break sooner if run nonstop?
    Just kidding, I don't want that to happen but why does it have to run all the time now?

Worse than living next to a train track? Yes and no, the tooting horn sounds awful but this is constant and sounds like a cross between screeching metal and a huge mosquito or vacuum cleaner.

Just a thought,,,
    Get to the physics professor, and present him or her with your problem. They may be interested in trying to work out an inovative solution. Sound can be combated various ways.... Who knows they might just come up with a great new idea...

On the front panel push the stop button, that will make it quite.

Move the mobile home

If you want to keep the privilege of free rent in exchange for vandalism deterent, you're probably stuck.

How big is the campus? Is there any possibility of putting the home elsewhere? You're not going to quiet or "Stop a Trane".
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast