New to Food service

I was wondering if there was anything special that i needed to know about working for a food and Fuel service company. ( large top of the line gas stations, Through out the northeast)
    What guages do you all recomend ?
    Any special tools that i need to purchase, before i need them and dont have them......?
    Any help here guys would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Soggybottom

for food equimpent one does not need gauges however you do need a good meter to check elements ,voltage, risistance, et.et. i was kinda throewn into the hot side and i hated i did it for 3 three years the boss knew i wanted to do the cold side ,refrigeration, but he knew that i was too good on the hot side he wanted to keep me on that side i finnaly quit went with another company and he too wanted me to do the hot side i craved for the cold side and finaly another company offer to train me on the cold side if i would any hot side that came in becouse thay could not find a tech that did the hot side and frankly know im making very good money due to that o could do both sides . so go for it and good luck. remember tech sopport .

Thanks for the reply, i will also be doing both .

Invest in a good digital thermometer and some cooper K (thermocouple) test leads. I have a UEI unit that will do a spit temp and I love it. I spent the money on the surface probe for the grills and other hot surface items and an immersion probe for checking the product temp of things. The other thing I would invest in is a good K style oven probe and a K style thermister? It's basically just a long wire that comes with the meter but buy a better one.

Johnstone supply for the probes and if your having trouble finding them let me know and I will set you up.

For refrigeration buy a good set of guages and learn and understand superheat and subcooling as some condensing units wont have a sight glass on them and it's about the only way to charge them short of removing the entire charge and weighing it back in...which is necessary sometimes! Remember that on a cap tube system you gotta give the thing at least 20min to equalize the system while it is running; that little tube don't move much charge so it takes a while = good rule of thumb...TAKE YOUR TIME!

Right out of the box I would put filter media on everything that has an indoor condenser after I made sure it was clean and then put them on a PM schedule and stick to it.

Bout all I got for ya...now get to work!

CW.

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Smile

As with any other field you will come to know what you need to make the job smooth. Many things come to mind Soggy but a few of the basics. A good volt/ohm/amp meter with temp capibilities...a weighted surface probe, the meter should also have micro amp range. i always carried two, some fryers had two separate burner systems. Ritchie makes a good manometer for checking gas pressure. An orifice drill set will come in handy. I like the newer compact drill impact for taking out the millions of screws. I purchased a set of alligator brand adjustable gripping pliers to work with the gas lines. If you wear a hat then buy yourself a clip on flashlight. I could go on and on and on...

BTW learn both hot and cold and your worth your weight in gold to any service manager...Good luck!!!

Thanks for all the replys guys, i have most of the stuff you all mentioned but i do need to pick up some things. Wow some of the stuff you guys mentioned to me has me really thinking about this job. Im a heating and cooling guy, i hope i can catch on to this new stuff pretty quickly.

I did tell them that in the interview though, so they knew that ahead of time.
    I was told if i can fix an air conditioner i can fix pretty much everything they got with a little bit of time.

Again thanks for all the replys
    Soggybottom