Hybrid View

Water pump bushing removal

Dear fellows:

I am in the process of overhauling a very old condensate water pump in a cooling tower circuit. I don't even know yet what brand of pump it is. What I do know is that the shaft is supported by two bearing inserts located at each end of the casing (no ball bearings). I was able to remove the shaft by using a hydraulic shop press, but so far cannot find a way to get the bearing inserts out of their holes. I do not want to pry on them or force them out with a chisel because I want them intact in order to get an exact replacement. Is there any factory or home made tool idea that can be used in this situation ? By the way, they are about 1.5 inches I.D. and their thickness is about 1/8 of an inch.

OTC makes bushing pullers ..

hope ya got $$$$$$$

Bearing wows !!!

Quote Originally Posted by refpro021702 View Post
    Dear fellows:

I am in the process of overhauling a very old condensate water pump in a cooling tower circuit. I don't even know yet what brand of pump it is. What I do know is that the shaft is supported by two bearing inserts located at each end of the casing (no ball bearings). I was able to remove the shaft by using a hydraulic shop press, but so far cannot find a way to get the bearing inserts out of their holes. I do not want to pry on them or force them out with a chisel because I want them intact in order to get an exact replacement. Is there any factory or home made tool idea that can be used in this situation ? By the way, they are about 1.5 inches I.D. and their thickness is about 1/8 of an inch.
    O.K. - Questions, these inserts are in the lower half of a spilt case pump assembly, generally anchored at BDC with a dowel pin,(maybe -maybe not)(keeps them from turning) is this what you are describing ? Is there only one pump, or are you running a standby pump ? If so, are they the same ? About how old is old ? From the 40s or 50s ? Newer or older ? Is it driven from a U frame motor ? Maybe post a picture - someone may be able to identify it ? Are you sure its worth saving if it has issues ? If the motor is as old as the pump, you might be able to sell a new skid mounted unit on the fact it will save many dollars in effeciency !!! Oops, back to the bearing thing !!, Slim mentioned a bearing or bushing driver - that might be an option !!! Generally, the babbit like material doesn't stick to the cast iron - being different materials, unless it is corroded or melted into place. Try some high pressure air and quality penetrating oil, and gently play a torch on the housing under the insert. Don't be aggresive with the heat as the bearing is mostly likely a lead base product and will melt at low temperatures without changing color. Lightly tap (while warm ,not hot)the housing with a soft face or brass hammer, you may dislodge it. Next question, can you buy replacement inserts, if you can't identify it ? Hey, good luck, sounds like you'll need it !!!
    Last edited by clgman; 07-30-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling