Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Well, they could certainly get my email address if they wanted it. But I don't ever put it somewhere like here or an open forum. Same reason I wouldn't apply for pro membership here. My cert card has my social security number on it. Just having the wholesalers make a copy of it is scary enough; hardly gonna send it off to a publisher. Plus I'd probably have to put my email address in my profile just to apply for the pro membership. Not worth the hassle of all the extra junk in my in box . . .
    My mistake was using my main e-mail address when I registered over 5 years ago. As I said, the spam hasn't been a problem until recently, but it's all coming from Penton. You had to supply an e-mail address when you registered or else you wouldn't be commenting here now, but I never put mine in my profile anywhere either.

I don't blame you one bit on the "pro" membership thing. A SSN was never meant to be used for an ID number with anyone but the SSA and IRS. I don't provide mine to doctor's offices or any other organization that requests it unless I know it's necessary. I'm not a licensed contractor, just some Joe Schmoe who asked a question here 5 years ago (and got some good answers), but I have no need for HVAC information in my mailbox and don't appreciate the owners of this site using my e-mail for that purpose, especially when I've repeatedly asked that my e-mail be "opted out" from future mailings. Sometimes I think these "opt out" things are really just a disguise for the sender trying to find out if it's a working e-mail address so they can continue to spam you and sell your address to others.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat57 View Post
    Sometimes I think these "opt out" things are really just a disguise for the sender trying to find out if it's a working e-mail address so they can continue to spam you and sell your address to others.
    Yeah, I'm a bit of a cynic, and I used to think that about the unsubscribe buttons on the junk emails. But a point in time came when I was so inundated with the junk and spam I made it a rule to "unsubscribe" to several each day. So after a few months I was getting almost nothing. There have been only a couple who do not honor that unsubscribe button.

Post Likes
    1. The Pro information goes to a committee of three well trusted members.
    2. All info is deleted afterwards.
    3. We don't give a crap about your SS#. We aren't thieves.

Anyone else want their email address changed, let me know before the Paranoia Police come.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    . . . before the Paranoia Police come.
    LOL. On a bit of a tangent, friends used to call me crazy when I told them I keep one computer for financial and personal stuff that has never seen the Internet and has no wireless connection. Haven't heard a peep out of them in the past few years . . .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kathmorgan12 View Post
    This is good news! Atleast, we see some work here. There really are a lot of spammers posting unnecessary comments and threads! You should be very strict on this.
    I agree with kathmorgan 12, a lot of unnecessary posts and comments

Post Likes
    As a new member I appreciate the heads up. Heading to do that now - Thanks!

Post Likes
    Just got here no spamming yet

Post Likes
    I'm getting tired of spam from tons of site. It got so bad that i had to get a completely new email address. Don't understand why people do it. It's just bad karma if you ask me.

Post Likes
    i vote for you

10. Likes hammeron, ENGINEER 434 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Priceless admin reading this is great i'm guessing you do this as a hobby, 50 out of 200 emails referring to the same registration etc i would be the same i bet it gets a bit work like after a while

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    I know I am and due to my work here I get them twice.

After a lengthy conversation with the site owner we have implemented a two question questionnaire. It is located in your profile. All you need to do is click on Settings (top right of the page) then to Edit Profile and answer them.

What good will that do??

Penton will split you off from receiving commercial stuff when you should get residential and so on. This way you don't get both or more spam than you should receive. Right now it's all open season.

I hope this makes sense. It's a part of life, you are going to get email from our owner but this way you can help them zero in on what it is that you do so you only get stuff they think you may want to read....

I am happy to be part of this forum and knowing that moderators are truly working about everything in the forum. Good luck to you and more power! Cheers...

13. Likes Dad liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    This thread should be retired...
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast