Thread: Flue pipe

Flue pipe

Furnace won't light. Pressure switch not closing. Hmmm....Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386365382.182064.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  104.2 KB

They messed up the ptrap... lol

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Did the plumber do the flue pipe?
    The elbows look to go to the side, then up, but the pipe coming out of the wall seems to angle down toward the outside, so it would collect at the elbows.
    Did I get it right???

Isn't it too close to the gas meter? Is that why they had so much rise after the elbows?
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

must not have had the HACK saw available....
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

No, just the HACK.

Does it matter that exhaust is too close to meter? I thought it only mattered cor and ignition source or air intake.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

It's hard to see but it sags just enough to make a trap. As far as everything else I don't really know. My buddy is the one who sent me the pic. I told him to go check for a screen that was frozen up or plugged And this is what he found.

They had to make it even with the window!
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Actually, each elbow equals a set amount of length of pipe. It doesn't show how much pipe is inside but with those three 90's, the exhaust may need to be 3". The gas vent aside, code requires the outlet to be .3 meter or 12" above grade or 12" above the highest listed snowfall for the area. And it needs a turn down at the end of the outlet. You can vent the regulator away to the distance proscribed in the gas code by installing the proper sized tube and fitting away from the vent.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the trap. Haha!

Unless the installation instructions from the manufacturer specifically say that you can, you have voided the UL listing. If a hole is an issue, and snow blocks the hole and stops it from draining, you have an issue.

If the manufacturer says to pitch it away, they mean that the termination must be legal. If it isn't 12" above the ground without the snow level added because snow isn't an issue, that is an illegal vent termination. If the manufacturer says you can pitch it back to the appliance, no hole is needed. The issue really is "How Long is the total developed length of the vent including fittings? It may be undersized. If the instructions say to pitch it away, you may need a TY on the horizontal run INSIDE the structure with the branch od the tee on the bottom with a pigtail fitting as a trap, properly drained and pumped away. Like into a condensate pump.

Without going to a Website and checking the vent sizing and what 90's equal, there is no way of knowing how many feet those three 90's are equal to. At least one of them is a long sweep although manuals don't give Long Sweeps credit for less restriction. I also think that some restriction should be made for the hydraulic jump from the horizontal (laminar flow) to the vertical ( circular flow). There is a restriction there.

It matters not to me. Its not MY house and I didn't install it. Just because some AHJ approves or disapproves it doesn't mean its right. Its what the manufacturer prints in the Installation manual. That's what makes it right or wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Then, it's not a "trap". It's a horizontal run with a leak in it.

A 90 Degree Ell and a 45 Degree ell are all that was needed here. I don't think that the gas meter is an issue, the window is a bigger one. Had they off set with a 90 and a 45 toward the meter and raised it up like they did, it would probably be code worthy. It should have a 90 and a 45 at the tio so it doesn't have rain going down the pipe. It should have been supported to the structure with a 2" Galvanized F&M Ring and plate.

So some clown with a lawn mower doesn't knock it off.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    No, just the HACK.

Does it matter that exhaust is too close to meter? I thought it only mattered cor and ignition source or air intake.
    In ontario flue exhausts have to be 24" to either side of the meter relief port. The height is of no significance unless it is something like 9ft above it (dont ask me why, crazy safety authority up here) so the 24" clearance is purely lateral. The concern is condensate freezing the meter.

On the pic, this is the most ridiculous termination anyone could ever dream of. Gotta wonder what was going through this guys mind