Do you guys solder much wire?

Do you guys solder much wire?

Enrolled at the community college, taking my required courses (math, english) before I can jump into the HVAC stuff. In the meantime I wanted to take a "fun" extra class to add to my skillset.

They have a semester worth of soldering, which includes a certification. I believe its mostly circuit board soldering though.

My other option is "small engine repair" which is only 40 hours of class which I think would be helpful too.

Which should I pick?

I'd love to take a welding class but they are out of my price range this year.

Take the soldering class.
    Local 449?

Take the small engine repair.

I've got soldering training and it was a help when I was doing electronics manufacturing, but these days with control systems I can't tell you the last time I touched a solder station. Everything is replace, not repair. I'm planning to make some test leads soon, and perhaps solder up a 250 ohm resistor wire for doing HART communications.

I don't think you could go wrong with either class; how much soldering experience do you currently have? If you can solder wires together, or solder a wire to a terminal, I'd go with the small engine class. If you've never touched a soldering iron before, go with the soldering class.

Where do you live? Would a small engine class benefit you? For example, do you have all four seasons? Snowmobiles, snowblowers and ice augers in the winter, lawn mowers and weed whackers in the summer? Then, I would say take the small engines as it could be useful year round if HVAC/R didn't pan out. Hopefully, you will do a little bit of wire soldering within the HVAC/R program?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

The soldering class isn't worth much unless it covers BGAs (which you probably won't have to deal with in HVAC), just get a good soldering station like the Hakko FX888D and some leaded solder (much easier than lead free) in order to practice on junk boards and wires. I found that about 575F is a great soldering temperature for general use, might need to bump it up to 600F on particularly difficult connections. A common mistake is to turn it all the way up, which results in overheated connections and quickly wears out the tip.

Engine repair would be similar to repairing semi hermetic compressors, so you might want to learn it if you're planning on working on commercial systems.

You Tube.... search for "Pace Soldering Tutorials"........ learn soldering from those tutorials and take the small engine class.... or maybe some other class.
    One things for _______ sure, ________ rock didnt land on ______ sorry ___. That ___ __ _ _____ wasnt nowhere near _______ a _______ years ago. __ aint even a ______, __ is half _______ and half ________.

I was taught proper soldering techniques in the Army. I have used electrical soldering in my job a few times over the years, but mainly use it when doing hobby projects or electrical work on my motorcycle.

I carry a soldering gun on the truck. Don't think I ever used it.
    Used a soldering iron on a truck gas tank a few years ago.
    New gas tank are all plastic though.

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I carry a soldering gun on the truck. Don't think I ever used it.
    Used a soldering iron on a truck gas tank a few years ago.
    New gas tank are all plastic though.
    So do I, and I think I use it maybe 4-5 times a year... usually to repair something on a board or to replace that critical part in an ECM motor 'module'.
    Nice skill to have... however I doubt one needs to take a whole class in it. It is like welding... one learns 90% of what they need DOING it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

X@
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    So do I, and I think I use it maybe 4-5 times a year... usually to repair something on a board or to replace that critical part in an ECM motor 'module'.
    Nice skill to have... however I doubt one needs to take a whole class in it. It is like welding... one learns 90% of what they need DOING it.

I would think small engine repair would be of more value .about the only time i solder is when thermostat wires are to short not much skill needed
    We really need change now