Hmm, where is that gas smell coming from?

No pics, but a hell of a story. Got a phone call at 12am from a frantic customer. She just had the gas company come out and they informed her that gas was leaking from the furnace into the house. She said they turned everything off at the furnace. The moment I opened the door it was like someone hit me in the face with a gas bomb. Pure raw gas filled the house. First thought was please don't have a hot water heater blow us all up. After opening all the windows and I noticed that the back of the living room still had a strong gas smell. What was behind that wall? A sunroom, with a gas grill that was let on, effectively filling the entire house up with gas through a connected supply vent. Got to love home owners. And bang up job gas company!

Whats wrong with the gas company!! they just left? Had one like that except the customer left the burner on stove on, After freaking out on me that i had a leak, found out he bumped the knob of stove.

I went on a gas call too. I expected natural gas. I get there and smell gasoline. It was their gasoline that they put in their storage unit under there own apartment. These people are studying to be doctors.

i have a huge disdain for utility companies.
    ~~
    Political Correctness - the Language of Wussies

they condemned a standing pilot furnace because "there was a flame in there"

did you confirm the leak in the furnace?

My attached neighbor almost blew us all up because of a gas stove.. She cleaned it as she moved out and 2 days later my wife was getting headaches. We smelled gas and I checked our whole house and meter.. Then figured the neighbors! We alerted the basement tenants of that home and broke in upstairs to find the stove on... And luckily the window next to it cracked open.
    He called the fire department and they aired it out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think they hire some idiots!!

Had local gas company change out the meter, doing it in an entire neighborhood.

4 hours after they change the meter customer realizes they have no hot water. Called gas co back out and after another 3 plus hours, they condemned the water heater because the pilot would light but as soon as the main tried it all went out. They put in 4 thermocouples!!!

took me all of 15 minutes to determine no gas flow to water heater, then nothing to gas furnace.

went outside and found NOTHING coming out of meter outlet. i had it 100% disconnected and no smell, bubbles or flame.

told customer to call gas co back and make sure to make them pay for my time!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    Whats wrong with the gas company!! they just left? Had one like that except the customer left the burner on stove on, After freaking out on me that i had a leak, found out he bumped the knob of stove.
    Had a similar one. People freaked out and left the house and told us the front door is open. Get there to find burner on gas stove left partially on. People are so quick to blame the HVAC equipment.

Had one yesterday for a friend at church. Their daughter's house had a "gas leak" that no one including the utility or three plumber/ hvac techs could locate. Aside from finding the gas pipe into the boiler loose, it was not NG odorants they were smelling but aldehydes. The boiler was firing poorly and the vent was not connected to the improperly installed chimney liner so some escaped into the building. I connected the vent connectors and the odor disappeared. Will come back and tune/ clean the boiler.

FYI, aldehydes (means CO is present) can trigger a gas sniffer. In my case, my personal CO Angel alerted me to 50ppm ambient. My Gas Trac which senses combustible gases and CO confirmed the diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I think they hire some idiots!!

Had local gas company change out the meter, doing it in an entire neighborhood.

4 hours after they change the meter customer realizes they have no hot water. Called gas co back out and after another 3 plus hours, they condemned the water heater because the pilot would light but as soon as the main tried it all went out. They put in 4 thermocouples!!!

took me all of 15 minutes to determine no gas flow to water heater, then nothing to gas furnace.

went outside and found NOTHING coming out of meter outlet. i had it 100% disconnected and no smell, bubbles or flame.

told customer to call gas co back and make sure to make them pay for my time!!!!
    I got called out for no hot water. Tried lighting pilot. Lites, burner fires for a couple seconds and goes out. Tried thermocouple. Pilot lites, flame is lazy.
    While doing all this I rested my hand on the gas cock and broke the aluminum handle.
    So I run up to Lowes and get a water heater gas valve/thermostat.
    Get back and go to the main cause now I have to change the gas cock. I find brand new main and shut off. Sheet. Wasted an hour and a half all because the gas co. didn't bother to leave a tag telling the HO they changed the main and left the gas off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I repair air conditioners to keep people cool when it's 110+ degrees outside.
    I repair heaters so people don't freeze to death.
    I shut down furnaces that are unsafe to operate.
    Make fun of my profession, but dang it, I save lives.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Got called out recently for a gas leak. Smell hit you when you walked in the front door. Checked everywhere. Couldn't find a leak.
    HO had a gas fireplace she had shut off earlier. Only thing I could assume was she didn't turn the knob all the way off and it leaked. Smell was strong as you came thru front door which was directly across the room from FP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I repair air conditioners to keep people cool when it's 110+ degrees outside.
    I repair heaters so people don't freeze to death.
    I shut down furnaces that are unsafe to operate.
    Make fun of my profession, but dang it, I save lives.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Proving once again that YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.