Trane perfect fit

Is the Trane perfect fit a non electronic cleaner? My new install includes a free clean air effects, but I don't want it. All I want is a 5 or 4 in media filter. If so can it be replaced with a 1 in filter for temporary purposes. My Trane dealer has no acces to Honeywell or Lennox hc 16 filters. Please help.

Good choice!

I did the same but got my money back.

Trane Perfect Fit media is 5" and sound last you at least 6 months and I think works better than CleanEffects.

Replacement media is available via internet pretty cheap.

See my previous posts on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Is the Trane perfect fit a non electronic cleaner? My new install includes a free clean air effects, but I don't want it. All I want is a 5 or 4 in media filter. If so can it be replaced with a 1 in filter for temporary purposes. My Trane dealer has no acces to Honeywell or Lennox hc 16 filters. Please help.

The Trane Perfect Fit has a notch in the filter housing and the filter that makes it so you can only buy the replacement filter from a Trane dealer. Unfortunately the price reflects the monopoly.

This would seem like a good deal for Trane contractors. However, consumers do not like to be manipulated and when they find out that they cannot buy replacement filters elsewhere they are not happy campers. In fact, I hear more complaints about this product than any other. What seems like a recurring income gravy train for the contractor becomes a wedge that destroys the trust between the contractor and the customer. Make sure your contractor is not making this mistake.

I would suggest you stick with a Honeywell, Spaceguard, Air Bear or some other readily available filter housing and filter. Or you could go with my personal favorite - a filter housing that fits a 4" commercial filter and save 80% on your filter purchases.

Wow.......

Quote Originally Posted by sam_hikes View Post
    Good choice!

Trane Perfect Fit media is 5" and sound last you at least 6 months and I think works better than CleanEffects.

Call your agent in Hollywood, this advice can be posted on a visa commercial. It is "priceless".
    But I give high marks for attempting to be a legitimate source of "proven" and "tested" standards. But if you say so. We must all check out you "previous post"..

See my previous posts on the subject.
    If your Trane dealer cannot get access to any other product than he must not be legitimate or owe's a honeywell distr. money. And you should immediately know he does not have your best interest in mind if he will sell you a media, of any type, over a ce. He only wants to sell you what you will pay for, not what you tell him you need. Don't ask for a level of iaq and be afraid to pay for it.

And for anyone who thinks they will get a "free" ce.......You must have misread the contractors "quote", I'm sure he meant you get a free Porsche....Model doesn't matter.... You get it free......because we get it free. right?

There are at least two 3rd party suppliers of replacement filters for the Perfect Fit housing, and the actual Trane Perfect Fit replacement filters are widely available from Trane dealers and online.
    They are no harder for a homeowner to get than replacement filters for than for an Aprilaire or Air Bear air cleaner.

We install a lot of Perfect Fit air cleaners, but we put in the ones that use collapsible media. The replacement media costs us no more than the ones for Aprilaire air cleaners, and we charge the same for them.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I've sold Perfect Fit replacements. They are available from Koch filter and Landers filter.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Help me guys.
    I still can't find a replacement filter for the Trane Perfect Fit with the notch. I must be missing something. I talked with Koch. They don't make a replacement. The only replacement filters I have found on the Web are Trane products at premium prices.

I believe the notch is there so you can retrofit a 1" filter if needed. The same cabinet is used for the 5" or the 1", that way you can upgrade to 5" if you want at a later date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

I just ordered this today since my existing Perfect Fit is starting to get dirty.

Perfect Fit.... 5 inch.... Genuine Trane (American Standard) BAYFTAHEXM2 filter

http://www.filtersamerica.com/result...3&refsrc=yahoo

Note: These 5" filters last at least 6 months and cost much less overall than the monthly 3M filters without the performance hit.

Guages

Not to switch gears but anyone use filter guages such as these to determine when to replace a dirty filter?

http://www.filtersamerica.com/result....cfm?pids=G-99

I think the confusion is that all of the Trane filters go under the brand name "Perfect Fit" - even the EAC. The particular model that seems to cause concern is the BAYFTAH21M, BAYFTAH23M, etc. This filter has a notch that makes it so that no other filter fits. (The notch is not for the pre-filter.) The cheapest I can find it on the Web is $49 each plus shipping. This may or may not be a lot - depending on the person. But the consumers that talk to me are not happy about it.

Sam and Mark
    The replacement media you are buying and installing seems like a good value and a good system.

I have seen very few pressure gauges in residences. They are used frequently in commercial systems and pressure drop is the best way to measure when to change filters.