dog fighting - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dog fighting

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    It's not money that's the attraction to a blood sport, it's violence. The money in the betting might grease the wheels but the real motivation is deep within the human psyche. Mostly in men.

Even when wrestlers like Hulk Hogan said he had never been in a match that wasn't fixed, yet many refused to believe him. Their denial was connected to an addiction to seeing blood and suffering and needing to believe it was true. Other make believe violent entertainment like movies and games might make sane people wonder what the attraction is.

Probably most share these mental fantasies to some extent which might explain the negative reaction we have to these people that hurt animals and other people. If we don't like what we see in ourselves we will react proportionately. That's why it's hard to judge something that's not in ourselves. We don't understand and there's no mental association with the person.
    Even so, to rise above our most negative attributes and pass judgement on them gives some hope.
    [QUOTE=hurtinhvac;17179621]
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    It's not money that's the attraction to a blood sport, it's violence. The money in the betting might grease the wheels but the real motivation is deep within the human psyche. Mostly in men.

Even when wrestlers like Hulk Hogan said he had never been in a match that wasn't fixed, yet many refused to believe him. Their denial was connected to an addiction to seeing blood and suffering and needing to believe it was true. Other make believe violent entertainment like movies and games might make sane people wonder what the attraction is.

Probably most share these mental fantasies to some extent which might explain the negative reaction we have to these people that hurt animals and other people. If we don't like what we see in ourselves we will react proportionately. That's why it's hard to judge something that's not in ourselves. We don't understand and there's no mental association with the person.
    Even so, to rise above our most negative attributes and pass judgement on them gives some hope.[/QUOTE

Uh...yeah...not sure about all that. Generally speaking, violence and suffering on the part of innocent people and animals disturbs me greatly. Gives me a kind of weary, desolate feeling as well. I don't believe I share in the fantasies you speak of...unless of course said violence is directed at those who initiate and inspire these kinds of acts. Then I'm all in.
    Yes, IMO there is a 'lust for violence' so to say, and it is not just men... lots of the ladies like 'action/adventure' movies...

I think it may be partially rooted in 'stuffed' (repressed) anger. Take a kid (male or female) that grew up in a bad family... or had no family... or was the object of bullies... or a host of other less than positive environments. They can be sub-consciously programmed to react to certain behaviors, especially if focused on them. When that stimulus happens, it tends to receive an aggressive (whether or not physically violent) response... which is more reactionary than carefully chosen. And this 'scenario' is exacerbated by the idea that it is not 'cool' to be gut level honest with one-self and deal with the inner pain.

OTOH: And IMO this may start a new discussion: Are we as a society being programed to abhor violence too much? Please do not hear me saying violence is a good thing... only that when folks get an anti-violence attitude... they tend to throw out the baby with the bathwater so to say. Examples may be gun control, this anti-bullying campaign, assuming crime can be stopped with therapy, etc.

A conversation for some thought, if anyone is interested... Problem is... it may well step on toes.... which usually causes lack of interest.

Side note: Over at the aviation forum I post at... they are opposed to all forms of political discussion... they say it is negative... Yet a handful of folks can stomp all over the rest of the posters on aviation issues, acting literally like internet bullies... and complaints are ignored. Seems we take our definition of what is right and wrong with a grain of salt... and perhaps we sometimes are hypocritical about the underlying cause.... IMO that being an attitude problem... which is a choice to repair.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I made a small post this morning in ARP. It's a story of the Icelandic Police shooting a man and then apologized because the police had never killed anyone with gunfire before.
    A law student was writing his thesis on why violence is so low there. He concluded that social equality was responsible. That there was less resentment and anger.
    Seems many reject violence when it comes to animals that are considered helpless yet tolerate, even encourage violence when it comes to people.
    When I was a kid it was all baseball. Today baseball is seen a boring (I don't think so) and football has replaced it. Football is violent, baseball isn't (usually) Boxing which is violent but also called "The sweet science" is being replaced with MMA that is more similar to a street fight than science. But both football and MMA have violence going for them and attract the numbers.
    When kids fought when I was young a fair fight was expected. No kicking or anything underhanded. Seems today a kick is the first thing done. I believe our attraction to violence is gaining ground.
    To abhor violence might just make it more anti-social and desirable for the rest. As example we have coyote protectors here. They want peaceful co-existence. Peace co-existence with a predator? Sometimes I think counseling a bully kid will get the same result.

Seems to me a violent society will exist because too many like it that way.
    Tracers work both ways.

UPDATE

surgery complete, recovery in progress

https://www.facebook.com/Eagles.Den....216220572974:0
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Dammit, dandy...I think I'm gettin' a *cough* cold or sniffles or somethin'.

It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123