+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Losing tools in attics with blown in?

Post Likes

Losing tools in attics with blown in?

Just wondering if someone has any tips to leave the job with all your tools?
    I try to just take up what I know I'll need but even so...
    I feel like I've tried everything. I started by taking my tool belt but as soon as it gets put down or I move the wrong way tools fall out and get lost. Next I made a flat tray that sat on top of the insulation. It worked great until I tipped it and lost a pair of linesman and a flathead.
    Lately I've been using a small zippered tool bag but it's a pain because I'm constantly taking tools out to find what I need and it wastes time. Any advise? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    5 gallon bucket
    Doug

Post Likes
    I know of one guy who swears by a backpack like the Klein. He claims it does not hinder him and he just lays it across a joist and once zipped up, nothing gets lost. He did caution about keeping tools to the minimum though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Try a tote and magnet tray. Lay a small drop cloth in the work area.

I usually just bring 2 or 3 of everything. When i run out of spares, I leave.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    What, you don't have a magnet on an extension? Thought that was standard issue...The trick to put keep your tools to a minimum. I have a diagnostic bag, (from veto their meter bag that zips up). I have my meter, 1/4" nut driver, 5/16" nut driver (both magnetic) also two different size flat screwdrivers, one for lugs the other for the the t-stat strips, two size phillips. small dykes, three jumpers. electrical tape, digital thermometer that always needs batteries, a couple extra fuses for the LV. That is enough to usually find the problem, have to go back down for customer to authorize repair anyway so grab any additional tools needed at that point. Of course gas furnace will take more if measing gas pressure or doing combustion analysis. Just what is needed nothing more, and no you do not need an 18V cordless drill to remove four screws from the panel to open the unit.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Backpack... Plus it keeps both hands free climbing the ladder. I'm using a clc right now but planning on a veto protec by next season.

Post Likes
    X2 on the backpack. I do resi and com and use the Klein for my service bag. Very nice and orderly.

Post Likes
    A separate attic bag works for me. Meter, 11 in 1, manometer, elec tape, and needle nose, jumpers and a Tstat screwdriver. The bag is small and everything has it's place so I can glance at it and know I have everything.

That will get me through 99% of diagnostics and PMs.

I also got into the habit of putting tools back in the bag and not laying them anywhere. It's either in my hand or in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Small plastic sled like little kids use. Found one on top of the trash. Works great for crawl spaces too. Put ropes on both ends if you have a helper he can pull it back, load it then i pull it back. one I found has thick runners molded in and about 3in deep

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in