Pharma HVAC Comm. step by step guide

Pharma HVAC Comm. step by step guide

Would anyone have any documents or links to documents that would detail the basic process, step by step, of the commissioning of a the HVAC (Air) on a Pharma project?

For example, there will obviously be many steps to take, such as the Custody Transfer from the installation contractors to Commissioning, the FAT and SAT of the HVAC (Air) panels and the subsequent loop checks, the coupled and uncoupled load testing of motors/fans, right through the testing & balancing of the HVAC air systems for each grade of area in turn, the testing of any LAF units and HEPA/ULPA filters, and then perhaps ultimately the pressure profile/cascade verification, witnessing and handover to client.

However, I am aware that there are many steps between, and each needs to be detailed in order. My question is as above, which is although each project needs to be scheduled on its individual merits, would anyone know of a 'guide', or basic step by step document/link that would assist me in drawing up a step by step schedule/process of the commissioning of HVAC Air systems on a Pharma project?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I think I have just what you are looking for.
    Engineering Pharma Innovation ISPE
    Titled HVAC for Pharma Facilities 2006
    Intro
    HVAC basics
    Air Filters
    Controls
    Air balance
    Cleanroom Basics
    Lab HVAC
    Hvac GMP's
    API
    Oral Solids
    Sterile Products
    HVAC Requirements
    Design to Qualify & Economics
    Qualification
    IQ,PQ,OQ
    Its as thick as a phone book. Now how do you get it?

Thanks whitewhite. If it isn't possible to attach this document, or attach a link to the document, I suppose that posting a copy may be an option? Could you e-mail it?

Many thanks.

Thats the thing, It's as thick as a phone book. All I have is a hard copy.

Guess your going to have to buy a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by qqqqq View Post
    Thanks whitewhite. If it isn't possible to attach this document, or attach a link to the document, I suppose that posting a copy may be an option? Could you e-mail it?

Many thanks.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Pharma HVAC

The thick book mentioned is the text for the HVAC Course taught by ISPE (Internationals Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering). It's a three day course that deals with the application of HVAC (and especially air filters) to pharma product situations, emphasizing that one size does not fit all. The course is a couple thousand dollars and is always sold out, since the Pharma industry is notorious about overspending on HVAC.

The course manual follows the course, but it can stand alone as a reference. The instructors (I am one of three) for the course are experienced pharma HVAC professionals and also are members in the ISPE HVAC Community of Practice, which includes an online discussion for pharma HVAC related topics.

The ASHRAE guidelines must be purchased.
    ASHRAE Guideline 0-2005, The Commissioning Process;
    ASHRAE Guideline 1-1996, The HVAC Commissioning Process;

I'm sure there are other publications and guides out there. But you can't go wrong with ASHRAE. You should also consider hiring a consulting engineer to do this for you. True commissioning is a process that starts during the design of the project. In other words you decide what benchmarks you want to achieve, design and install it to achieve them and then measure and adjust the finished system.

A lot of equipment efficieny rating, seer, thermal, etc. are not realized in the real world if it has not been installed in such a way that it can. For example. A split system can have an advertised SEER rating but if you install it with a long vertical run, you will not get that SEER rating, and no amount of tinkering (i.e. commissioning) with the finished system will fix that. If the designers have in mind they want the splits to meet the SEER rating then they need to find a way to get rid of the long run, or switch to some other product.

Good luck!

Hope you like to do alot of writing and Cut/paste. Each one of my RTUs have 2 3" binders. Control section in 26 volumes, all 2" binders.

The QA deptment for the company I work for wants you need to supply all design work, real life numbers, 1 to 2 weeks of temps, all commissioning info. Plus everthing else that was said. I have a copy of IOM, service and cut/ spec sheet for every piece of HVAC Equipment 1 per unit every unit. That why these books are so thick.

Your also going to need and check with the company to see what they want.
    May want more copys then you think or docs. for everthing and then some.
    Talk to how is Validating, if pharma alreadly open the QA deptment.