Thread: dirty blowers

dirty blowers

Thought I would put this one out there. Have a customer with a 2 year old samsung mini split (ductless) three in one. We have done a PM on it every year and its been fine, untill now. The refridgerant charge is good, but all three heads blowing warm air with low air flow so I checked the fan cages. They were totaly clogged with stuff. I have seen this before but here is the wierd part, the house is immaculately clean, the filters nearly spottless(husband cleans them monthly) and even the coils are all clean only the blowers are dirty The only clue I have is that they only run the units on low(they are elderly and trying to save on electric bill). Could the low speed be allowing anything that did'nt get filtered to stay on the blades?
    Its just odd, I'm calling Samsung on Monday but was curious if anyone else had seen something simular. thanks for any responses or Ideas

Do they burn candles. It could be soot. That would go right through the coil.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

good thought but i dont think so, this stuff was light grey to white in color so i doubt it was soot, thanks

those filters suck IMO

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    We had the same thing on one the a customer uses 24/7,most other are in sun rooms.Don't know why,but it's the only one that we have found that way.

He likely runs it on low also as he's an XM radio DJ at night from his home.

Cust was quoted to clean it,he tried to DIY with a broom,while running,cost him a new wheel ,and labor.

Ive actually had people tell me...these are "pros" too.... that they have cleaned really dirty blower wheels by turning off power to the blower and jamming a screwdriver into the wheels...knocking the dirt off......

Someway that the air in someway is saturated leaving the coil or mixing with the supply air? Sort of like when you have a window unit that is set on low speed and the air coming out (though cold) feels extremely humid or when you have extremely low air flow and you get condensate that forms on the vents. Maybe somehow this is possibly forming on the blower blades and in turn the condensate is trapping dirt and dust in the moisture on the blades and as the compressors shuts off and the air warms it dries on the blades when the moisture evaporates. It takes a situation where the warmer air has a high enough humidity level that when mixed with the colder air the mixture has a saturated humidity level and causes condensate.

That sounds like lie I would believe.

I'm with HVAC whiz... Get some merv 8 filter media... those filters don't work obviously.. also you might ask the home owner if he is "turning the filters around" to make them last longer... I have found several home owners who do this... go figure...

thanks some good Ideas, We had a Tech do a simmular thing with a metal temp probe, He just stuck it in there to get his cross coil and poof new blower time