Air Bear Filter Merv8. New house, time to replace & want to make sure this is good.

Air Bear Filter Merv8. New house, time to replace & want to make sure this is good.

Hi. I know I am suppose to change my attic filters once a year. We have been in our house for 2 years now. Last year we replaced with the same filters. This year, as I was checking for prices, I stumbled on to this website. Please let me know if what I have is good and exactly how this filter differs from the ones we change out in the return air vents. We have 2 a/c units. This is the info. on the attic filters. Air Bear Filter Merv8 R6874
    20x25x5. Trion Air Purification System. Reorder # is P.N. 255649-102.

Is this a good filter or should I be using something different? If so, what? Is this the type of filter that is suppose to help reduce allergens and dust? Thanks for your help.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kimstm View Post
    Hi. I know I am suppose to change my attic filters once a year.
    Kim,

May I ask where you learned that your suppose to change your filters "once
    a year"?

If you're concerned about allergies and such, you should be changing filters
    much more often. I taught my customers and now my students:
    "Remember to change or clean the air filters each time you pay the electric
    bill!" Meaning ONCE A MONTH!

A MERV 8 filter is real good for residential use - maybe a bit expensive.
    I recommend any 1" pleated filter (found at Home Depot, Lowes, and
    many other places) as being much better than the standard fiberglass type.

If you are dealing with acute allergies, you may want to consider a portable/
    tabletop type of air cleaner (no brand recommended - all will do spot cleaning.)
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

"Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

I change the return air vents monthly or every other month. The info. on the other filter is the one that goes into the a/c compartment that is in my attic. I was told by the a/c guy that it needs to be changed once a year.

An AirBear filter, like any other media filter, will last longer than a 1" pleated filter. But a full year is pushing it.

Some factors that affect air filter life:
    *Tonnage of system (airflow)
    *Whether the fan runs between cycles
    *how dusty the air is in your area
    *pets
    *kids
    *how often you entertain in your home
    *and of course smoking and burning candles

I would check a new filter after 6 mos and then every mos afterwards to see how long until it is dirty. Dirty is defined as when the filter element is dark colored, and one sees little light through it when held up to a bulb or the sun.

Oh, and one should be aware that the seasons affect filter change interval due to different airflow during different seasons (system runs more or runs less).

As far as which element to use: It really does not matter as long as you do NOT go beyond a MERV 11 (as in not a larger number).

The changing at timely intervals is more important than the filter you use. If it were me and I had 2 systems (did I read that correctly), I would order a case of filters (usually 4 in a box) from somewhere that sells them at a good price. Get the Trion filters, they fit into the holder well. And when you put the last two in, go ahead and order another case. Then you will always have a filter available and will probably change them more timely.

Timely changing of the filters equals cleaner air (we breathe easier), lower energy bills, and longer life of the equipment. There, is that enough reason to change them.

Now there is one more thing: Do you have regular scheduled maintenance by a licensed professional? If not, you really should.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

The 4-5" thick filters last a long time. MERV 8 filters don't catch much stuff (from the point of view of allergic people, they're no good) so they last longer than MERV 11 filters, for example. As ga-hvac-tech said, how long they last depends on a lot of things, but it may not be unreasonable to have them last a whole year if the furnace fan is not running continuously and the air isn't too dusty. With return air vent filters as well, then a whole year for the whole house filter seems quite reasonable. If you're concerned about allergies I'd suggest a MERV 11 filter (MERV 11 is about the minimum to have an effect on allergies), such as http://www.amazon.com/20x25x5-Air-Be.../dp/B000NMF3HA ; they are not significantly more expensive than the MERV 8 (http://www.amazon.com/20x25x5-Air-Be...dp/B000NMK13G). The thing is, the MERV 11 will have more resistance to air flow. Why do you have return air vent filters as well? I think it's a bit odd to have filters both at the vents and a whole house filter like the air bear -- it makes the furnace work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by kimstm View Post
    Hi. I know I am suppose to change my attic filters once a year. We have been in our house for 2 years now. Last year we replaced with the same filters. This year, as I was checking for prices, I stumbled on to this website. Please let me know if what I have is good and exactly how this filter differs from the ones we change out in the return air vents. We have 2 a/c units. This is the info. on the attic filters. Air Bear Filter Merv8 R6874
    20x25x5. Trion Air Purification System. Reorder # is P.N. 255649-102.

Is this a good filter or should I be using something different? If so, what? Is this the type of filter that is suppose to help reduce allergens and dust? Thanks for your help.

Kim
    We need pictures

Your 20X25X5" Air Bear filters are a good quality filter.

your 20X25X5
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

3M any good?

I bought a new house that had 1" return filters... I had a Honeywell 4-3/8" filter (merv 10 I believe) installed at the AC unit in the attic, and removed the 1" filters. Doesn't seem to be half the dust in the house (but still dusty).

I just ordered these: http://www.natlallergy.com/product.asp?pn=1743 to try out the 3M product out. They seem reasonable cost and supposedly Merv 12. Anyone else have experience with these filters? Their 1" filters are good, but clog fast, 4" should last as long as any other 4" (6-12m)

I got the cursed one inch pleated. As soon as my rh drops below 40%, I know they are clogging up and slowing down my airflow and it is time to change them.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

rh below 40%! Isn't that a good thing? Interesting way to "contrrol" humidity. I've heard the 1"ers clog in less than month (or week, or day)... hopefully at 4" they are more like the "competitors"... I ordered 4 of them today, then I went to Home Depot on my way home and noticed they carry genuine Honeywell Merv 12 filters now (at the same $30 price!)... but if the 4"3M's only last 4 times longer than the 1", I may run out of those in 4 months.... I'll keep you posted.

I can tell when my airflow is being reduced as the RH drops, time to change the filter it is getting restictive it usually holds about 40. When it starts holding below 40 it is time to change
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/