Investigating Smart Thermostatsw

Hi, looking to understand smart stats.

what about them are you looking to understad?

Are you in the business, or a homeoner?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Homeowner. Bought Nest 2! Continues to disappoint.

Two wire W/Rh fails to maintain charge. Adding C wire keeps charge, but, get E24 each time the NEST updates the temp another degree,
    shows low Voc/Vin/Lin values during that time (E24 error state) but the furnace still running the entire time. Then after a min. or two, it shows it in the connection OK state, Voc/Vin/Lin back to normal power conditions, and all Rh/C/W wires detected. (Even tried the magic 220 ohm 5W resistor across the W and C furnace terminals.)

Looking to see if alternative "smart thermostats" will exhibit the same behavior or is NEST too smart to know the furnace is running and sometimes that it is not (not trying to call for heat when it needs to, which is another situation seen each morning as it stops heating at 68 degrees but thinks it still is heating)

well there are lots of wifi t stats out there.

I have a feeling that you have the thermostat wrong. Who installed it, you or a pro?

Most of the nest go haywaire with a C wire conntected.

How old is your system?

Nest does not work with all systems.

Pull the cover off the nest and post a picture so I can see the wires, and then can tell you if you have it wired correctly. And post one of the control board of the furnace so I can see if they match.

First I installed it using the two wires that were connected to my old mercury vial, bimetalic strip Honeywell stat. That failed because the NEST would not keep the charge
    (Voc and Vin above 26 volts and Lin 20ma(a) and 20ma(i)) dropping from 3.8 to under 3.6 volts (no internet threshold) in 3 days.

I added the C wire and the battery charged in 2 hrs and the current jumped to 100ma. But it was only part of the problem.

The flaky heating/not heating problems persisted. The furnace not running when it reaches 68 as the temperature rises from 64 and going toward 71 is a killer problem.
    You have to be able to rely on the stat to do the minimum that the old mercury vial thermostat does. What stat is smarter then, the mercury contact stat or the fancy iPhone designer stat?

Please do what I asked. I can not see it anyother way. Without pictures, there is nothing anyone can do over the net.

If you don't want to post pictures so we can help (if we can help), then call a pro.

And if you wired it wrong, you could have blown the stat, or caused damage to the system, or both.