Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat Pump Cooling Question

Yesterday I noticed there seemed to be no air coming out of the air ducts in my house. I have a Trane 2 1/2 Ton Model WCH30A100AA (self-contained outside unit), which was installed in April, 1988. My initial thought was that the blower motor was not working, as that seems to happen about every 4 years or so. I called the Technician who came out and determined, there was ice forming on the inside coils. The blower seemed to be working but the ice wouldn't let the air back into the house. He told me the unit was low on freon and added 1 1/2 pounds. Pressure was increased from 68/150 to 75/173. He also indicated the probable place of freon leak was at the the Schraeder Cap, which had a slight discoloration on either side. After letting the ice thaw , he added the Freon, and cool air started blowing. The air now coming out of the vents is 64 degrees, the air going into the return vent is 81 degrees, a difference of 17 degrees. It seems to be comfortable now. However, I have a some questions. Is his explanation a reasonable one? And, is the air in/air out ratio reasonable?

I realize the unit is getting fairly old, however, I don't want to replace it until it is necessary. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

his explaination sounds reasonable to me, temperature drop is in the right range. Since this is a heat pump, and it heats your home, it runs a lot of the time and likely accounts for a large portion or your annual electric consumption. A heat pump in heating mode with a low refrigerant charge can use a LOT of electricity. Your best bet is to either make sure your system is running properly with no leaks, or replace the heat pump.

His explanation is fine. A 1988 heatpump owes you nothing. Did you have everything cleaned out? Both coils and blower compartment? This can make a big difference. You can't tell squat from pressures alone.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

sound reasonable to me also. Imo buy a service agreement from your service company and have the system maintained annually. i work for a Service Expert Co. and our agreement is $162.00 yr. includes 2 cleanings, discounts for any other work needed and A FREE SHOT OF FREON.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    His explanation is fine. A 1988 heatpump owes you nothing. Did you have everything cleaned out? Both coils and blower compartment? This can make a big difference. You can't tell squat from pressures alone.
    Yes - he cleaned the coils and the blower compartment - which I do regularly anyway - as well as change the filter. Thanks to all for the replies. I think I will have it checked again this Fall, to determine the Freon status just in case. As to a Service Contract - not sure anyone will give me one on a unit that old?

>>>As to a Service Contract - not sure anyone will give me one on a unit that old?

Of course they will !!! This will not only prolong the life of your existing equipment, but will give you priority service and generally a discount on replacement equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    sound reasonable to me also. Imo buy a service agreement from your service company and have the system maintained annually. i work for a Service Expert Co. and our agreement is $162.00 yr. includes 2 cleanings, discounts for any other work needed and A FREE SHOT OF FREON.
    Dont the rules say no pricing?
    And what the heck is "A FREE SHOT OF FREON"?!?
    Do you give that intravenously?

Sorry I forgot about pricing, please forgive me. The free shot of freon is 1 lb. free during the check up only.

What happens to the pound you are replacing?

Or do you put the free pound in a balloon for the HO to use if they ever need it?

Sorry to be a wisenheimer but if your Co. is giving away pounds of refer. You are either encountering grossly under charged systems or leaving leaking systems unrepaired.

Cool

wow, you just don't let this go do you. Quite frankly, we sell more service agreements because of the free pound . You go on a poor cool call and its a little low on freon. We sell him an agreement, put in a pound, visually check for leaks, especially the caps and king pin caps. not to mention the txv mech. connections........... And you wouldn't beleive how many jobs I go on and the system is OVERCHARGED. So your saying that if a person needs 16oz. of freon than your going to do a leak search? Did you know that the king pin caps alone are rated to loose an oz. or 2 a year! Or when you put gages on off there is some loss! And how is a tech. to know that the previous tech. new how to charge correctly? Or especially an installer. sometimes a little freon added and the customer is good for 2-3 years, and than again not. the point is, sometimes a leak search on all syatems is a little bit much. If a customer doesn't need refrigerant at the time of the cleaning, than they don't get it at all. Hope this helps clear your mind!!!

"Quite frankly, we sell more service agreements because of the free pound"

Magic words, Im glad to hear its your gimmick, not your Montreal Protocol compliance policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on cert test stated that home owners not required to repair leaks, but whenever possible unless has or will exceed 15%/YR. Im sure that whenever possible is prefered. Also a customer that has 2 regular inspections a year has a better maintain system and is overall better for the eco system.
    Just my .02

thank you mr buckeye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast