Tech questions re new install

3 day old install and would appreciate any advice (American Standard 13 seer allegiance 3.5 ton, AS Furnace AUD120R9V5K4 2 stage variable speed, ADP 3.5 ton compatible coil - pictures attached)

1. Pic #1: ADP coil totally encased - no service access - thoughts? Improper install asking to have fixed?
    2. Air seal on top of coil - silicone type sealant on corners, but not around the entire top of unit - thought this was to be airtight and should be sealed all around?
    3. Furnace Exhaust is relatively horizontal - should this be at a more upward slant to allow gas up chimney easier?
    4. In picture 1, condensate drain has a portion of pvc pipe sticking up with no cover - pushes a bit of air from furnace through there - is this ok?
    5. Picture 2 shows return air going into furnace at a direct 90 - is this ok?
    6. Pic 3 shows air filter provided which looks like a stock 30 day replacement filter - AS website referred to a cleanable filter? Is there supposed to be another factory filter here?
    7. AC unit is not 100% level outside - 1 inch lower in back than front - is this ok?
    8. Very soft putty used on inside lines into unit - ok?
    9. Rear and side of coil cabinet very cold and sweating - cause? ok?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Did you ask the company that installed your system any of these questions? If not then you should. Call them and have someone come out and go over the system with you.

1. Normal for an uncased coil
    2. If you feel air escaping, it needs to be sealed
    3. Looks okay to me - it's not completely horizontal.
    4. Normal
    5. Could be better but if there's sufficient airflow and the system isn't noisy, there's no problem. Plenum might have turning vanes inside it.
    6. Did you ask for the stock filter? It might be optional. In general washable filters are useless.
    7. No - it should be level
    8. Huh?
    9. Normal if the system is turned on in humid conditions

Looks pretty good to me. Wait for more replies - this is just my opinion.

8. Thumb gum. We use to seal around refrigerant lines on the out side of the house. Not the best stuff. Usually dries up and falls off over time.

#4: The condensate drain should have a P-trap. Maybe it does but I can't tell for sure from the images. (it could be right behind the T that we see in the images). The P -trap is designed to stop suction of outside odors into the A/H and prevents the AH from venting thru the condensate line. The T at the start of the P-trap allows you to clean the trap and add water if it dries out. It should have a plug at the cleanout.

P-trap design and their drains should be dictated by code. Was this installation permitted and inspected?

#7: Typical specs are + or - 3/8" per 1ft for level. (or + or - 2&#37. You might be barely in spec but level and plumb always looks best. It's a sign of attention to detail.

Thanks AMD and Tech in KC for the good advice - I'll wait on the other replies like you suggest and then talk to the install company about the items that seem unusual and should be discussed.

Thanks DaveFR. Not sure what a p-trap is, but if it is supposed to be visible from the outside and have a plug, there isn't one there. Not sure about a permit, my wife was at home and thinks there was no inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by mayteam View Post
    Thanks DaveFR. Not sure what a p-trap is, but if it is supposed to be visible from the outside and have a plug, there isn't one there. Not sure about a permit, my wife was at home and thinks there was no inspection.
    Here's what a P-trap looks like. (and yes, I know I don't have a secondary overflow!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

East Coasters have any comments since this went out late last night?

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Here's what a P-trap looks like. (and yes, I know I don't have a secondary overflow!)

Not needed on positive side of system. Is just fine the way it is. I would cap off that tee though without gluing it. Nice to have for servicing.

All in all, I see a decent install. Would I have done stuff differently? Sure. But to each their own. Now go upstairs and read a book or watch TV!!!

looks like a decent install to me

if the plenum is sweating. it could be that a little insulation will stop it, or it could be that your coil temp is getting too low, indicating a problem. How is the cooling performance of this system? As compared to your old system?
    As far as filters go, either add a dedicated air cleaner (significant cost increase) to the system or use the cheap filters. High-end filters of the size you are currently using would likely cause airflow problems. Stick with what you got or maybe the cheapest pleated filter you can find and change every 30 days.

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I will ask installer only about the following thanks to your good advice:

Leveling the A/C unit
    air flow leaks by furnace
    Potential p-trap and capping the open PVC
    sweating on furnace

Thanks Again!!!

as has been said already the trap isnt needed on this applacation

if you do insist on the trap then leave the vent open like is is before the trap or the back presure turbhlants will hold water in the tray and flood over

the job looks good
    level the unit amd put a cap on the vent
    have a beer and be comfortable