Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This is a gas heat. A Payne furnace, vertical unit, with the E.coil on top.... feeding into the plenum.

That time delay relay sounds interesting. The tech did notice it... and said it was say way high. However - when it is not cooling well - the compressor is running. It is doing it right now - I went outside, and without question the compressor is running... but it doesnt seem to be compressing. The liquid line isnt warm and the coil isnt putting any heat off right now. The previous cycle right before this one was great.

The system does this randomly. There is no pattern I can find. Sometimes it will do it on the first cycle after turning it on after being off all day... sometimes it will be the second cycle, sometimes it wont do it at all. When the tech was here we cycled it many times and it never failed.

Quote Originally Posted by town View Post
    is a TXV on the E.COIL?
    No TXV. Just a simple orifice inside the box on the E.COIL.

I checked out the time delay outside.... it basically takes two wires from the T-stat, into a timer. The timer then has two wires that run to a contactor. I dont think that is it.... because when the unit isnt cooling well, both the compressor and fan outside are running, which means the contacts are closed.

is the compressor running or just the fan motor

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    is the compressor running or just the fan motor
    Compressor is running. I can hear it.... it has a distinct hum.... and a rattle when it shuts off.

I absolutely know the compressor is running when it is cooling poorly - because it is still cooling. It is taking 78 degree air from the return and spitting out 70 degree air at the register. It will do this for hours until the house cools down eventually.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by igotdoo View Post
    Ok - I noticed my HVAC wasn't cooling like it used to.

10 year old York 4 ton unit.

The symptom is, it will cool GREAT, then sometimes, it wont get lower than 70 degrees at the register.

Had a tech come out - he said someone put too much freon in.... let some out to get the pressure right.

Now.... it still does the same thing. When it works, it works great.... (even better than before) and puts out 55 degrees at the register with a 78 internal temp (23 degree drop). Outstanding.

Other times, when it cycles on - the register will not drop below 70 degrees.

This means, I know it is cooling.... because it is cooler than ambient at the register, but it isnt cooling where it should.

Filter is always changed, it isnt freezing up inside or out (checked), and gas is good (same problem before tech let some out to be optimal)

Compressor is running as is outside and inside fans.... all coils are clean.

Help! What can cause a system to run great sometimes, and then other times hardly at all?
    23 degree drop across the indoor coil I would think that coil is way to cold and maybe needs to be pulled and cleaned. I would ask them to cut-in inspection hole to insure that indoor coil is clean and also have them check blower section to see if proper airflow is being used.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

The problem is at the indoor coil. JMG.

Its not the coil that needs to be pulled and cleaned.

Sorry mods.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up

This is a gas heat. A Payne furnace, vertical unit, with the E.coil on top.... feeding into the plenum.

That time delay relay sounds interesting. The tech did notice it... and said it was say way high. However - when it is not cooling well - the compressor is running. It is doing it right now - I went outside, and without question the compressor is running... but it doesnt seem to be compressing. The liquid line isnt warm and the coil isnt putting any heat off right now. The previous cycle right before this one was great.

The system does this randomly. There is no pattern I can find. Sometimes it will do it on the first cycle after turning it on after being off all day... sometimes it will be the second cycle, sometimes it wont do it at all. When the tech was here we cycled it many times and it never failed.
    Can you check the CAPACITOR or maybe need install a HARD START KIT, good L.

Can you check the CAPACITOR or maybe need install a HARD START KIT, good L.
    I am thinking of changing the cap because they are cheap. It has a single run cap for the compressor and fan. It does get pretty hot. Does a run cap normally get hot?

I am thinking of changing the cap because they are cheap. It has a single run cap for the compressor and fan. It does get pretty hot. Does a run cap normally get hot?
    yes but you need to check if capcitor is OK you maybe need a HS kit, do you know how check CApacitor?

beenthere please explain

is a TXV on the E.COIL?
    Pheww! That was close. Quick read looked like E. Coli.

AM

If the compressor is running while it's producing this medium cool output then why in heck does it need a new cap or hard start kit??

It sounds like another case of randomly throwing parts at the situation without taking the time to get down to root cause.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast