Carrier Secondary Heat Exchanger Failure Warranty

BACKGROUND:

I just became aware of the fact that as the result of a class action suit Carrier agreed to provide a lifetime warranty of certain high efficiency furnaces in the event of a mechanical failure (crack) of the secondary heat exchanger.

I believe our unit is one of these covered furnaces: Carrier Weathermaker SXI 58SXB080.

Our furnace was installed in April 1992 and has functioned well since.

This year I needed to vacuum the partially plugged condensate drain but otherwise, as far as I know, the furnace has had no issues and no LED faults have appeared.

These Carrier secondary heat exchangers do crack and one of the consequences is carbon monoxide leakage.

Our carbon monoxide detector reads 0 when placed adjacent to the furnace while operating.

MY QUESTION:

Do professionals familiar with this issue recommend I have the furnace inspected for a secondary heat exchanger crack of our 21 year old Minnesota furnace?

Any other advice/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Tom
    Rochester, Minnesota

The only class action lawsuit i'm aware of is for the polypropylene coating coming off in the secondary which can then allow corrosion and plugging of the exchanger.

is there another one? please post a link.

this is info on the one im aware of:

http://www.hipspro.com/pubs/Furnace-...led_notice.pdf
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Some links to info...maybe a 20 year limit for this settlement

http://www.omaha-home-inspection.com...y-furnaces.pdf

http://seattletimes.com/html/homegar...087_hay01.html

http://www.hipspro.com/recalls_frame.htm

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    The only class action lawsuit i'm aware of is for the polypropylene coating coming off in the secondary which can then allow corrosion and plugging of the exchanger.

is there another one? please post a link.

this is info on the one im aware of:

http://www.hipspro.com/pubs/Furnace-...led_notice.pdf

it's the same one I referenced. the problem is more that the plastic inside peels off. it causes some internal corrosion and blocking of the exchanger. i havent seen one crack because of this problem.

honestly, no matter what the warranty on your furnace is, 20 years is the likely lifespan. since yours is at least 21 it has paid its dues and can be considered for replacement.

have a carrier qualified tech look at it. you may get lucky if there is a verifiable failure. however, if you are not the original owner there may be no warranty. most older warranties didnt transfer to subsequent owners.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

CELL INLET PLATE CRACK?

BACKGROUND:

Today our 1992 Carrier Weathermaker SXI 58SXB080 was inspected because I was concerned the secondary heat exchanger was having problems due to the drain issue I first posted above.

The inspection was careful and included using a fiberoptic scope.

All was well until one CRACK was spotted in the firebox adjacent to one of the four flame inlets.

The secondary heat exchanger and everything else was pronounced as OK.

The CO at the exhaust read a maximum of 52.

I was told the primary heat exchanger which has a lifetime replacement warranty not including labor was cracked and my options were to pay $450 in labor to install a new primary heat exchanger OR buy a new furnace for $3000-$3500.

I can post a photo, however, the CRACK appears to me to be in the cell inlet plate. The crack is having no effect on the flame appearance at that inlet vs. those flames at the other three inlets without cracks.

QUESTION

What do you pros advise if this is a CELL INLET PLATE CRACK?

Is this equivalent to a heat exchanger crack?

How does one verify the diagnosis?

(There is another Carrier dealer in our town.)

I am happy to post a photo...

See page 8 at this link for the Cell Inlet Plate diagram:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58sx-17si.pdf

Thanks.

Followup: Photos of the CRACK in "Heat Exchanger" vs "Cell Inlet Plate"

Followup: Photos of the CRACK in "Heat Exchanger" (technician diagnosis) vs "Cell Inlet Plate"

Does the Carrier 58sx furnace heat exchanger require replacement or just the cell inlet plate?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Its 21 years old......do you have some sentimental attachment to it? Take the credit towards a new furnace.

yeah, i doubt you'll be able to find that plate.

Agreed with beshvac. Replace it.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

it's paid its dues.. replace if the funds are available, else replace the plate, if available, or replace the exchanger.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Replacing 1991 Carrier Weathermaker SXi 58SXB080 with a 2013 Infinity 96 59TN6080

Thanks for the advice.

We are replacing our 1991 Carrier Weathermaker SXi 58SXB080 with a 2013 Carrier Infinity 96 59TN6080

Obtaining quotes. (Currently 3.6K-4.2K)

Interesting that that variable speed inducer motor in the 1991 Weathermaker SXI is no longer included in the slightly more efficient 2013 Infinity 96 which just has a two-speed inducer motor. Variable speed inducer motors are now only offered on the Infinity 98.