mobile home insulation

does anyone know what the insulation values are for mobile homes (double wide) for the walls, floor and ceilings?
    Or is there a website that offers that info?

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    does anyone know what the insulation values are for mobile homes (double wide) for the walls, floor and ceilings?
    Or is there a website that offers that info?
    Typical R-11 but depends on the region. Could be very low to very high, depending also on manufacturer. Check the link, I hope it helps;

http://www.southface.org/web/resourc...obilehomes.pdf
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Your regions will vary. For example, a manufactured home in Colorado has different insulation specifications than one made in any surrounding state. They do have often a "Colorado Insulation Package". This is only one example of possible differences. Contact the manufacturer for best information. If you can locate the model & serial numbers, that will help. While insulation levels can be impressive in some manufactured homes, we often find the infiltration is equally impressive, only in a bad way.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

You can't go by regions to determine what insulation you have in the mobile home. The region only determines minimums at the date of manufacture. Over the years, the minimums have increased. All manufacturers offer insulation upgrades in the home.

The only way to truly determine what R value your home has is to find the "data plate". Every mobile home built after 1976 had one. I say "had" because they used to attach them to the backside of a closet door, and it was usually the first thing the new homeowner would rip off. Most newer homes had them attached to the backside of the breaker box cover panel. Of course, that doesnt mean it would stay there either.

Quote Originally Posted by workingman View Post
    You can't go by regions to determine what insulation you have in the mobile home. The region only determines minimums at the date of manufacture. Over the years, the minimums have increased. All manufacturers offer insulation upgrades in the home.

The only way to truly determine what R value your home has is to find the "data plate". Every mobile home built after 1976 had one. I say "had" because they used to attach them to the backside of a closet door, and it was usually the first thing the new homeowner would rip off. Most newer homes had them attached to the backside of the breaker box cover panel. Of course, that doesnt mean it would stay there either.
    I referenced a local manufacturer of mobile homes on this post. They manufacture home for several regions, they gave me this info. If they are wrong, you may want to tell them, they only manufacture them anyway.

Refering to new units, OP didn't specify older homes.
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Quote Originally Posted by ckone180 View Post
    I referenced a local manufacturer of mobile homes on this post. They manufacture home for several regions, they gave me this info. If they are wrong, you may want to tell them, they only manufacture them anyway.

Refering to new units, OP didn't specify older homes.
    Exactly what am I supposed to tell them they are wrong about?? According to the link listed, they are suggesting that what the mininums are a customer should look for in insulation, not what is found in their homes

Quote: "In new homes, look for a minimum R-value of R-11 for walls,
    R-19 for floors, and R-30 for ceilings.

This is just one link I have for a "local" manufacturer and this is only one of their product lines.

http://www.commodorehomes.com/commod...38&name=GF540A

If you scroll down to their minimum insulation for this line of homes, you will find them different than the minimums found in your link. You can go to most manufacturer web sites and find different "standard" insualtion packages and most of those are available for upgrade.

I stand by my original post as there are too many factors besides "regions" to properly guess on what the R-values are. Its like using a "rule of thumb" to determine the proper cooling load for all houses in the U.S.

I apologize if my original post offended you. That was not my intention. While I know that there is no better source for information than the people who manufacture them, I spent 12 yrs in the manufactured housing industry and feel that I do know something about them.
    Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.