Looking for info on standard HVAC system

The customer wants 68 degrees and I am looking for a way to show him that he is asking too much of the system.

Why is that asking too much? Is it too old and worn, or not adjusted correctly?
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

The system is freezing up at 68 but runs good above 70

I keep my place at 68 every night. Have every place I've lived. Never froze a coil yet. We have customers who keep theirs lower. One guy sets it at 63 inside and has no problem. Another family with a huge house and 5 ton builder Rheem keep it mid 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMCAY View Post
    The system is freezing up at 68 but runs good above 70
    Sounds like you may not be moving enough air. I keep mine at 67 all the time, 13-years old, never iced up once. Filters clean, coils are clean and the system is properly charged. No ice, no problem. I'd bet the 70 degree air you're feeding over the evap coil is helping to keep it defrosted. Low charge, slow air. That's all.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Do you know what the design temps are for the system?

-JB

my bedrooms go down to 68 at night, never had a problem..

Talking Comfort Defined

Quote Originally Posted by JJMCAY View Post
    The customer wants 68 degrees and I am looking for a way to show him that he is asking too much of the system.
    < 78'F at 40% R.H. is FreeZing
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    < 78'F at 40% R.H. is FreeZing

you people in the south just have thin blood....

my house is always 70-72 with rh usually around 43- 45%, bedrooms go down to 68 at night.

Here in the deep south we keep our house at 69F constantly with no freezing or any other issues. Sounds like an airflow issue. I have several doctors clinics that like to keep there offices around 64 - 65. No problem.