Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused Is my Builder trying to rip me off???

Hi Guys,

After changing my gas furnace to a heat pump in our new build, I heard (via this site) there were more efficient unit available than the 13 SEER unit I was being offered.

I enquired about an upgrade prior to the unit going in.

got an email back from the builders, with a forwarded email from their HVAC contractor, we decided to opt for this system.

FVM4X60 Air handler, H4H460GKB Heat pump - the price in lieu of the current heat pump installation was additional $$$$ (price charged to the builder).

We said yes, go ahead - the builder then emailed us saying the actual price was TWICE, because the $$$$ did not include the heat pump, bigger ducting and a larger plug???

Now when i spoke with the HVAC guys, they said our existing spec heat pump duct was big enough, why would that change, and why does a more efficient unit need a bigger outlet?? Plus the price they supplied to the builder clearly states it includes a heat pump.

looking at the prices quotes, what do you guys think? Is my builder trying to get $$$$ for doing nothing? Or have i missed something????

thanks guys.

paul in carmel IN.
    Last edited by visceral; 07-18-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: PRICES INCLUDED SORRY!!

You need to read the site rules. Pricing is not allowed. I recommend you edit your posting and remove the pricing before the moderator shuts your posting down.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    You need to read the site rules. Pricing is not allowed. I recommend you edit your posting and remove the pricing before the moderator shuts your posting down.
    edited, I apologise!

Maybe. Sit down with him. Communication is key. Face to face kind. Tell im this e-mail crap is for e-bay buyers, not someone building a new home!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

does any one read the rules before posting
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    does any one read the rules before posting
    evidently not, though my apology was obviously wasted on you, I'll consider myself told off again - Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Maybe. Sit down with him. Communication is key. Face to face kind. Tell im this e-mail crap is for e-bay buyers, not someone building a new home!
    I have sent them an email requesting a full break down of the quoted costs, I really would not mind a couple of hundred dollars, thousands is a joke!

I have spoken with the HVAC guys, who really were stuck between a rock and a hard place, when I told them what the builder wanted to charge, he just kept saying "errr, well, errr, thats not what we'd charge"

I just hate paying people for doing nothing at all on the back of someone elses hard work!

Get used to it, builders try to rip everyone off. It 99% of the builders that give the others a bad name.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Get used to it, builders try to rip everyone off. It 99% of the builders that give the others a bad name.
    The hardest bit to swallow is the fact the HVAC guys can't work for me directly, I offered to pay them outside of the "new build contract", but they obviously have an agreement with the builder, which is a shame as they sound a nice bunch.

If I could, I'd just tell the builder to forget the HVAC install, and that I'd arrange my own, but then they only "allow" authorised contractors on their homesites!! As I found out when I tried to get an ADT alarm installed.

Quote Originally Posted by visceral View Post
    The hardest bit to swallow is the fact the HVAC guys can't work for me directly, I offered to pay them outside of the "new build contract", but they obviously have an agreement with the builder, which is a shame as they sound a nice bunch.

If I could, I'd just tell the builder to forget the HVAC install, and that I'd arrange my own, but then they only "allow" authorised contractors on their homesites!! As I found out when I tried to get an ADT alarm installed.

Those things can sometimes be negotiated, depends on your builder.

Obviuosly your bulider is unwilling to negotiate. Read your contract and actually find out where you stand.

Is there an escape clause in your contract?
    Sounds like this Contractor is building for a development company or his own development company.
    I would look for a way out and buy another house somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicDave View Post
    Is there an escape clause in your contract?
    Sounds like this Contractor is building for a development company or his own development company.
    I would look for a way out and buy another house somewhere else.

Dave you shouldn't induce people to breach as that is a tort violation of the law, tell them to seek legal advice, much safer. Twilli is disbarred attorney.

Thousands is not out of the question. What seer is the new unit?

If this is just the 14 seer delux, dont pay thousands more...maybe one

Do you need 2 stage t-stat?

Maybe the higher seer needs to have the correct duct size?
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast