Sweet corn...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet corn...

Sweet corn...

Picked up a couple dozen sweet corn in the shucks
    while in Iowa recently...

...need cooking ideas! What's your favorite?
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

"Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

My favorites are to soak them in water and then grill'm. The other is to cut the corn off the cob and fry it. I love fried corn but I like it grilled with butter much better.

They call um grillin ears, not boilin ears. I agree with Mattman. Soak um first, grill um till the first leaves burn off. [longer than your steaks]

heres a step by step. www.grilledcornonthecob.com/
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Frying is my favorite. Cut off the kernels and scrape down the cob to get all the milk (juice). I keep it simple. Start with a little bacon grease in a skillet, have it good and hot but not smoking. Add the corn and cook 4-5 minutes. Be sure to stir so it doesn't stick. Add a little water, salt and pepper and maybe a tsp of sugar( depends on how sweet the corn is). Cover and cook on low 10-15 min. (May have to add more water). I like to add butter before serving.
    Fried corn, fresh tomatos and corn bread- that's all I need in the summertime.

Thanks a lot Razorback. Now I want some fried corn.

Camp fire corn.. about the same as the Grillin corn but instead soak the ears and husks wrap in foil and shove then in under the coils.

If you grill it like Spotts says, after you peel back the husks, put it back on the grill for a few minutes to let it get charred. Then you can cut it off the cob and add it to salsa, salads or add it to your cornbread or hushpuppy batter. I'm making myself hungry. I had an aunt in Mississippi that made a relish that had corn, red and green bell pepper, red onion... I can't remember what else or what the dressing was. But it was good with BBQ.
    Last edited by razorback; 07-18-2007 at 05:38 PM.

I have tried it all of these ways. The best way I have found is to husk it, smear it with butter, add salt, fresh ground peeper, and garlic powder. Wrap in foil and put it on the grill before the steak.

Very forgiving. Never had it cooked wrong yet.

And sometimes, depending on the main course, dip it in Franks Red Hot.

UMMMM. Corn.

I love the bi-colored corn fresh out of the field that day, and I grill them as well.

I think the "Super Sweet" variety is the best. You don't want to wait till the kernels are bright yellow, but pick it or buy the ears that are just turning yellow.
    I husk it and clean the silk off. Bring your water to a heavy boil, place ears in boiling water and continue to boil for 7 minutes exactly. No more no less.
    This is how my mother and her mother did it and it works great.
    The quality of corn is critical, don;t get over ripe corn or it will be tough when cooked. You want it to have a dull yellow look not bright yellow.
    I come from a long line of corn eaters, so I know of what I speak. LOL.

I know it's kind of corny, but aw shucks I'm all ears!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Grilled out yesterday with family and friends.
    Seven ears in the husks on the grill for seven adults...
    ...and all enjoyed!
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

"Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Frying is my favorite. Cut off the kernels and scrape down the cob to get all the milk (juice). I keep it simple. Start with a little bacon grease in a skillet, have it good and hot but not smoking. Add the corn and cook 4-5 minutes. Be sure to stir so it doesn't stick. Add a little water, salt and pepper and maybe a tsp of sugar( depends on how sweet the corn is). Cover and cook on low 10-15 min. (May have to add more water). I like to add butter before serving.
    Fried corn, fresh tomatos and corn bread- that's all I need in the summertime.

Thanx Razorback. That was excellent. I made it with 60% corn, and 40% cubed zuchinni. It was damn good.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

The best home grown corn around here is now out. It is grown on the Moses farm which is the home stead of Grandma Moses. The farm is still in the Moses family.

I take half of the leaves off the ear. Wrap is foil and put it on the grill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast