Rheem Condensate Pan

Last Friday (7/13/2007) we had our local AC tech (reputable company) come out to find out why our AC wasn't cooling. He found that due to the dryer exhaust vent being right next to our condensing unit - it was clogged with nearly 8 years of lint - $xxx later we were enjoying 76 degrees in our home...

Fast forward to this morning (7/16/2007) - Wife noticed water dripping from the light fixture in our walk-in closet. I turned off the light, pulled down the fixture to find it COMPLETELY full of water. Yes, the bulb had been submersed in the water...

Yes, our AC/Heater is in the attic above our bedroom closet.

We shut off the AC and called our local AC tech. I was guessing the condensate pan was overflowing due to a clogged line. Same guy who was out on Friday came a calling...

His quote: High $xxx to replace the Evaporator pan (part #L299?). We were told the refrigeration would need to be evacuated and recharged. He also said that the Evap coil would go out within a year - his quote on that $x,xxx!

Now, this is a Rheem RCBA-3765-A521 (serial #M1899) installed in August 1999.

What are your thoughts - is he on base, is this normal for a unit that is only 8 years old?

Thanks for any insight.

~ Too hot at 5280' elevation (Denver, CO metro area).
    Last edited by 5280; 07-16-2007 at 09:54 PM.

You need to read the rules of this site

sorry but its too hard to say without seeing it, these things rot out all the time, they constantly collect moisture and have varying temps going across them??
    my only question is why do you not have a secondary pan under your A/H in the attic???
    and is this an option to get you by for a little till you can replace the whole sytem?

yes and sorry you cannot discuss prices on here

If you really what to find out if that is a good price, call two more co. out there and if you get the same replies, then go with the co you feel most comfortable with.I am sure there are co in your area that give free estimates.

My first thought is why did you wait for 8 years to have the unit cleaned? I clean mine at least every year and sometimes twice or even three times.
    Just depends. It is cheap insurance, that and keeping a clean filter.

Thanks to all that have responded so far.

I have edited out the prices - sorry about that.

August will be our 3rd year in the house - we had someone in our first year here clean the unit in the attic.

Regarding the second pan, these were the tech's comments "pan is cracked and the second one doesn't work" ???

I was more surprised that the unit would have to be evacuated in order to change a pan. Am I off base with that?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by 5280; 07-16-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Depending on the way the unit is set up, It might be able to change the pan with out removing the charge of the unit.The second part if the aux drain pan is not pipe,just caped and has a float switch on it (which I hate when installs are done like that) get a price on piping the pan to the outside. So that way you will not have water dripping on you ceilling.Either way you need to get somemore estimates and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    I was more surprised that the unit would have to be evacuated in order to change a pan. Am I off base with that?

Thanks again!
    The pan is attached to the coil in some manner, usually screws. to remove the pan the coil will need to be removed to get to these screws. if there is excess lineset and alot of room around the unit this can sometimes be done without cutting the lines. however most cases require cutting the lines, which means an evacuation is required.

Thanks again everyone - we'll get a few more estimates tomorrow.

Thanks!

I do these all the time. pump down the unit, cut and couple, weld and vac. You're out in two hours. I would however add a drain pan with a pan safety so this doesn't happen again.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by emoney1971 View Post
    I do these all the time. pump down the unit, cut and couple, weld and vac. You're out in two hours. I would however add a drain pan with a pan safety so this doesn't happen again.
    Thanks -

I see on their estimate two fixed rates - one for the pump down / recharge and one for the replacement of the pan.

Based on everyone's experience, would you just go ahead and replace the entire AC and maybe the heater?