Contractor provided references

When the is a news segment or magazine article about how to find a good reputable contractor we are always told to ask for references and to actually call them to see if they are happy with the service they received. I always wonder who these references are and why would they be willing to talk to total strangers who call asking if they are happy with work they had done. I would feel strange calling and asking them. Do they get a lot of calls from potential customers? Why would they be willing to do this? I just don't get it, can some one shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Rob

References provided by the contractor are nearly useless because the contractor will likely give you a "cherry picked" list.

Try and find them on your own by networking with friends and neighbors. I'd also look at bbb.org and research any dispute history and resolution %. Do similar research your state's contractor licensing board.

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    References provided by the contractor are nearly useless because the contractor will likely give you a "cherry picked" list.

Try and find them on your own by networking with friends and neighbors. I'd also look at bbb.org and research any dispute history and resolution %. Do similar research your state's contractor licensing board.

We giive customers a list with over 200 hundred names, hard to cherry pick them all.....