+ Reply to Thread

Thread: There Are Tons Of Jobs In East Dfw

Post Likes

There Are Tons Of Jobs In East Dfw

I wonder why you guys are not taking them. I have my own reasons, but I am in an unusual situation. I do not understand the shortage of techs here, any ideas? What is wrong with DFW?. My former employer is practically begging for techs, I have heard other employers have the same problem. This is a curious environment for me to be in and try to understand. Is there some 'turn-off' to working in Texas? If you have good experience, almost any major local company would welcome you. Most would "give you a chance" otherwise. Help-wanted signs everywhere. What is wrong with the offers? Are they just always trying to hire at a sub-standard wage? What gives?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    DFW --- Dallas fort worth?
    When you check the national job listing you don't find any listing for that area, hardly any for texas.
    If the economy Is like here In OZ Jobs are far and few In between, mostly rippoff companys who treat you like dog CR#P, no pay etc????
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    DFW --- Dallas fort worth?
    When you check the national job listing you don't find any listing for that area, hardly any for texas.
    If the economy Is like here In OZ Jobs are far and few In between, mostly rippoff companys who treat you like dog CR#P, no pay etc????
    Well, that is why am asking. I am so close to it[dallas/fort worth] I am ignorant of 'outside' point of view.

I could drive you to several jobs here, all within about twenty minutes drive of each other.

From my opinion, they are not 'rip-off' companies and do not treat employees especially bad. I would season that with knowledge that ANY hvac job tends to be on the difficult side.

http://www.dallasnews.com/

Maybe the numbskulls just don't know how to advertise the openings.
    I think most everyone is getting 18-26, from what I hear. Some strictly residential guys may not start out so well, but I would be suprised at that if he was a good tech.

If it was not for the long hours and my commute, I would be working for one of those guys now. I got my own licence and 'one-man-show', see how it works out. If I flop, I will just rent an apartment and take one of those jobs for a 2 year stint and get out of debt. [i live an hour or more away] FYI, I moved here from wichita falls about 10 years ago and got an immediate pay increase to 150% what I had been making.

Maybe it will help you guys looking nationally to go to cities links [like on yahoo] and check the local papers. That is what I did when I moved here. AT THE TIME dallas and houston was as competitive as anywhere for wages, best I could tell. I visited houston and applied at a few, not a dimes worth of difference, but dallas was just closer to wichita falls and relatives.

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

Post Likes

Cool

[QUOTE=Tool-Slinger;1555262] and do not treat employees especially bad.

Are you saying they just treat them "bad", just not espically bad........

That's a scary statement.....
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

Post Likes
    Probably just my grouchy attitude showing. I did not mean anything in particular by that.

Post Likes
    I tend to stay away from the news papers. I only typically take offers from companies I know people at or have a reputation of being a quality employer. Most of the garbage companies here lay off or treat you like crap. After 11 years of searching I found 2 companies that actually treated an employee worth a darn. Many want to abuse you till you quit. IMO it should be some what of a partnership and the employee should be made to feel like he is a part owner in the company, not just some one who takes call duty and a crash dummy to get yelled at by customers.

Offers in the twenties kind of slows down a bit. The good companies who know what they have or what they are getting will offer 20 and more an hour.

Likewise though there are a lot of bad techs around here. I have one that is following me around now at a church I am going through and diagnosing and they are for some reason giving him the work. Yesterday he claims in 30 minutes he was able to secure a 500 micron vacuum on a system that was 10 tons and line set of 5/8 and 1 3/8 with a distance of over 100'. Sad part about it is he is the business owner. I cant stand his company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    I tend to stay away from the news papers. I only typically take offers from companies I know people at or have a reputation of being a quality employer. Most of the garbage companies here lay off or treat you like crap. After 11 years of searching I found 2 companies that actually treated an employee worth a darn. Many want to abuse you till you quit. IMO it should be some what of a partnership and the employee should be made to feel like he is a part owner in the company, not just some one who takes call duty and a crash dummy to get yelled at by customers.

Offers in the twenties kind of slows down a bit. The good companies who know what they have or what they are getting will offer 20 and more an hour.

Likewise though there are a lot of bad techs around here. I have one that is following me around now at a church I am going through and diagnosing and they are for some reason giving him the work. Yesterday he claims in 30 minutes he was able to secure a 500 micron vacuum on a system that was 10 tons and line set of 5/8 and 1 3/8 with a distance of over 100'. Sad part about it is he is the business owner. I cant stand his company.
    ''''''''''I tend to stay away from the news papers. I only typically take offers from companies I know people at or have a reputation of being a quality employer.'''''''''

I agree with the idea, but I meant check newspapers for the guys looking nationally or way out of thier local area.

'''''''IMO it should be some what of a partnership and the employee should be made to feel like he is a part owner in the company,'''''''''

Again, I agree, but never found anyone who will offer more than ''the going rate''. They do not have to share the wealth, so they simply do not. I am not saying that that is wrong either, but I do think there should be a better way of doing business. The work is hard and the hours are long, should be some kind of reward, but basically you just work for the paycheck. Management positions are for family members, big pay-offs are for owners' & wives. Good techs do not get fired and do not retire, they eventually get mad or fed-up or both and quit. That is just how it is,...
    I do not think DFW is any different than anywhwere else, but that was why originally I was asking. Last job I applied for was "PARK RANGER", so you can see that I am no big fan of the industry employment as a whole. But I think DFW would rate as well as anywhere for HVAC jobs.

================================================== =======
    Unrelated to reply:
    North DFW area is exploding with residential install work too, they are building like crazy in denton/mckinney area. That is just what I gathered as a guy looking for a job in the early spring this year.

Post Likes
    Thanks for respond's, I have to get the hell out of OZ, It Is so bad here now, that company's are cutting your pay, you either take It or leave, and If you have a family too support, you are SCREWED

Post Likes
    Thanks for respond's, I have to get the hell out of OZ, It Is so bad here now, that company's are cutting your pay, you either take It or leave, and If you have a family too support, you are SCREWED
    You cannot make alot of monery there, you will be punished with taxes.

Post Likes

cracker what part of fl are you in
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Post Likes
    Sorry Cracker, I thought "oz" meant Austrailia.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Sorry Cracker, I thought "oz" meant Austrailia.
    FT Myers

Post Likes
    there is a couple of places down there that are looking and W/D is one of them and then there is southern and food services also
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Post Likes
    http://www.dallasnews.com/

This might give you an idea of the local market. Unless things have changed in the past 8 years or so, Florida does not pay as much from the best I can gather.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in