patio deck and a/c placement

Sorry to say this, but patio is going to be put in soon, and need quick opinions about a/c placement. Presently unit is to the right of patio door. The deck would be built around it with enough room to get to it.
    To make for a bigger deck, I could have the a/c unit(Carrier Puron) moved to an alcove. I would leave the Hi-Eff pvc where it's at right now. In this alcove there would be easy back panel(tech access), but the clearances would be 6 inches on either side and at least 2 feet for the front grills. Does this sound like a problem beiung in this alcove. Is there enough air? Also the alcove is a little mossy due top not getting much sun. Would this affect anything. really loking forward to hearing your opinions considering all these factors.
    p.s. would moving it be a big job? (distance not that far). I am more concerned about air in that alcove. Thanks. You people have helped me alot before.
    George

Don't know the recommendations for your particular condenser, but as a general rule, 2 feet minimum of clearance on all sides of a condenser is recommended.

Sounds like your current plan may starve condenser; particularly in a recessed alcove. Up goes head pressure. Down goes equipment life and efficiency.
    Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun.

Maybe 38HDR might work FRONT DISCHARGE A/C UNIT
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

It's your home and equipment and you can certainly do as you want. However, it seems like you need to understand that AC is not magic. There are mechanical limitations and if you choose to sacrifice open airflow to the condensing unit for a bigger deck, so be it but from an AC technician point of view, that's a poor choice, unless you're willing to do without AC. Then you can just get rid of the condenser. You'll not only shorten the life and raise operating expenses but you'll also lose some capacity. If you need more deck, why not consider making it go out further from the home to gain square feet? Why must it be plastered right up to the house perimeter? Or, how about putting the condenser ON the deck?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

thanks for your replies...you are right. It is not worth taking a chance messing up a great unit, and so nicely placed and installed. But that's besides the point, I don't want to mess with the mechaanics of the unit, or chance it not running well. Too much of an investment.
    As to why I do not make the deck longer(or wider). Well it is a Townhouse complex, and they say 12x16 max.......some here are larger, but they were built a while back. plans have to be submitted to association....Thanks, again.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by geoss54 View Post
    thanks for your replies...you are right. It is not worth taking a chance messing up a great unit, and so nicely placed and installed. But that's besides the point, I don't want to mess with the mechaanics of the unit, or chance it not running well. Too much of an investment.
    As to why I do not make the deck longer(or wider). Well it is a Townhouse complex, and they say 12x16 max.......some here are larger, but they were built a while back. plans have to be submitted to association....Thanks, again.
    George
    Ah yes, the townhouse. Your house but the town gets to run everything on the outside, right? No my cup of tea but I guess if it works for you, then it's a good thing. I hope we weren't too hard on you. No offense meant.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

ah yes, I have had some run ins with the townhouse police when they do their inspections once a year.......anyway, neighbors are nice, miss my house and land sometimes, but this gives me mopre time for my wife and I and travel, and basically had to come here to take care of elderly parents....they passed.......so things have slowly worked out. Thanks, again.
    George