Hmm placing air intake above fireplace

Is is possible to relocate my hvac intake vent to the ceiling area over my fireplace to recuclate the hot air coming from the fireplace through my entire home using the house fan. Or will this put a draw on my fire place and just pull in smoke.

Since you mentioned smoke I assume it is a wood unit. Not sure if this is code or not but from what I have read in manuals and training classes I think you want all return registers at least 10ft away. It would create a low pressure pocket there and make the fireplace smoke back into the house.

Cool

Rather than trying to put an exact distance, I would simply state the fireplace is extremely sensitive to pressures such as from forced air and when installing an atmospherically vented appliance, airflows and pressure zones must be accounted for. This may require testing and balancing the ducts along with other tests. Even when the ducts are balanced, that still leaves about 100 other things that can cause a fireplace to backdraft or spill.

Try to avoid making statements containing absolutes. Fireplaces can't read tape rules. They just respond to the physics of it.

You need returns in every space except kitchens and bathrooms. Just try to locate it away from the Fp then balance it.

Now, what's all this about hot air and fireplaces? If there is any hot air, it is being sucked up the chimney unless it is spilling. Fireplaces are radiant heaters. Don't waste your time trying to move air warmed by the heat from the Fp because the warm room air is being sucked up the chimney at the rate of about 400-600 cfm on avg.

Open hearth fireplaces don't heat--they are fun but wasteful.

HTH,
    Hearthman

Hi

It could destabilise the "stack effect" of your fire place and fill the room with smoke.

Also apart from smoke it could draw unburnt gases into your ducting with potential for an explosion.

On a good day with a following wind an open fire is approx 30% efficient, thought most are lower.

Paula